-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
PCOM (Philadelphia) Discussion Thread 2011-2012
Started by ShyRem
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
No Letter from PCOM in my mail box.
T.T
For those who are accepted recently off of wait list, can you share your stats?? Or pm me??
And I think the acceptance letter usually comes in a big packet. But, was it the case?? For those of you who got accepted from waitlist.
T.T
For those who are accepted recently off of wait list, can you share your stats?? Or pm me??
And I think the acceptance letter usually comes in a big packet. But, was it the case?? For those of you who got accepted from waitlist.
Accepted 4/20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you in PA? If so west or east?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
During the interview I was at, they specifically said that their acceptances come in small envelopes, so we should make sure to open every correspondence from them.No Letter from PCOM in my mail box.
T.T
For those who are accepted recently off of wait list, can you share your stats?? Or pm me??
And I think the acceptance letter usually comes in a big packet. But, was it the case?? For those of you who got accepted from waitlist.
I interviewed on 2/2,
Deferred decision recieved ~ 3/2
Waitlist letter recieved ~4/16
Acceptance letter received 4/23 --today
In the acceptance letter it says that a deposit is due before May 4. I would assume that by that date a number of people who received today's acceptance letters will withdraw, and at that point another cycle of letters will be sent out.
Deferred decision recieved ~ 3/2
Waitlist letter recieved ~4/16
Acceptance letter received 4/23 --today
In the acceptance letter it says that a deposit is due before May 4. I would assume that by that date a number of people who received today's acceptance letters will withdraw, and at that point another cycle of letters will be sent out.
as for my stats..
3.1 GPA (rough start, good upward trend)
31 MCAT
6 years experience as an EMT
2 years experience as an Athletic trainer
NCAA athlete
Club founder and president
MD shadowing, no DO shadowing though
Various 'less important' ECs
...
strong LORs
Interviewed fairly well, not great though
I would be happy to go into further detail if anyone feels the need to ask. just PM me.
3.1 GPA (rough start, good upward trend)
31 MCAT
6 years experience as an EMT
2 years experience as an Athletic trainer
NCAA athlete
Club founder and president
MD shadowing, no DO shadowing though
Various 'less important' ECs
...
strong LORs
Interviewed fairly well, not great though
I would be happy to go into further detail if anyone feels the need to ask. just PM me.
Sure.
GPA: 3.86
30 MCAT
Also worth noting that my home address is in Philadelphia, which always helps when applying to philly schools. I also sent in a LOI and applied to PCOM's postbacc program, which may or may not have had something to do with my quick turnaround off the waitlist.. Hope this helps, and best of luck to everyone still waiting!
GPA: 3.86
30 MCAT
Also worth noting that my home address is in Philadelphia, which always helps when applying to philly schools. I also sent in a LOI and applied to PCOM's postbacc program, which may or may not have had something to do with my quick turnaround off the waitlist.. Hope this helps, and best of luck to everyone still waiting!
Also waitlisted 4/13... and accepted 4/20!!!
I wonder why there are so many people who seemed to be taken off of the waitlist so quickly and given acceptances?
Did you check the mail box yesterday? Or letter arrived today?
Also waitlisted 4/13... and accepted 4/20!!!
I wonder why there are so many people who seemed to be taken off of the waitlist so quickly and given acceptances?
Deposits were due 4/15. This opened up spots. Yay us!!!!!!!
did you guys all send back your pink waitlist form? and if so was it immediately after you got it? i didn't send mine until a few days later and am worried it hurt me!Wait listed last week, ACCEPTED today!! Out of state
did you guys all send back your pink waitlist form? and if so was it immediately after you got it? i didn't send mine until a few days later and am worried it hurt me!
Same boat as you are lol. I sent it on Wednessday. So since it is not ranked, it was a first come first served thing??
I did not see a letter today and I am in Pittsburgh. Probably not selected on 4/20. Kinda sad situation for desperate souls like us.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same boat as you are lol. I sent it on Wednessday. So since it is not ranked, it was a first come first served thing??
I did not see a letter today and I am in Pittsburgh. Probably not selected on 4/20. Kinda sad situation for desperate souls like us.
I never sent mine back in...
So I'm filling out my FAFSA, and I qualify as an independent student, or whatever, but it says that some medical schools require or want information about a student's parents. Does anyone know if PCOM wants or requires this information?
It is not required if you have worked for the past 12 months full time or are completely independent from your parents. There is a supplemental sheet to fill out on PCOM's website if you don't use your parents' info.
I never sent mine back in...
That is even more sad lol they really didnt want me.
So if I haven't worked full time for the past 12 months, I need to fill it out? I've been working full-time since July...
I imagine its 12 months prior to matriculation...so that would qualify I believe. May want to double check with the Financial Aid office...I called them earlier today and they were very helpful.
So if I haven't worked full time for the past 12 months, I need to fill it out? I've been working full-time since July...
You need to submit your 1040 from last year and it has to show that you made at least 12,000 last year to qualify as independent student
So I'm filling out my FAFSA, and I qualify as an independent student, or whatever, but it says that some medical schools require or want information about a student's parents. Does anyone know if PCOM wants or requires this information?
If you want to be eligible for any Pcom grant money it requires your parents tax information on the fafsa and that you submit signed copies of their forms to the financial aid office.
Same boat as you are lol. I sent it on Wednessday. So since it is not ranked, it was a first come first served thing??
I did not see a letter today and I am in Pittsburgh. Probably not selected on 4/20. Kinda sad situation for desperate souls like us.
I'm sure it was sorta a first come first serve thing, but Pcom does not just randomly choose students off of the wait list. They like to keep their demographics consistent so when a student withdraws, they pull a student off that is similar (similar grades, mcat score, race, age, etc).
This doesn't go for everyone though (I.e. if you are married you obviously don't need your parents info and can still be eligible).
To be eligible for need-based aid, then you still need your parents' information (regardless of age or marital status). I'm married and because I left my parent's information off, I wasn't eligible for need-based aid at any of my accepted schools. Every school is different though, so you should go on their financial aid page to see what they need from you.
hey guys, i have not heard from pcom all year! Are there interviews still going on?
hey guys, i have not heard from pcom all year! Are there interviews still going on?
i don't think so ... sorry
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DEPOSIT IN!!!! Where's the fb group/who wants to be my roomie????????
To be eligible for need-based aid, then you still need your parents' information (regardless of age or marital status). I'm married and because I left my parent's information off, I wasn't eligible for need-based aid at any of my accepted schools. Every school is different though, so you should go on their financial aid page to see what they need from you.
Wow that sucks that those other schools don't accommodate you. At Pcom, you can submit alternate documentation to prove that you have been financially independent for some time or that you are married and still be eligible for grant money.
I thought "deferred decision" was preferential to the waitlist... but here I am, still deferred.. :-/
Not sure whether to be optimistic or pessimistic!
Always be optimistic 🙂. Deferred decision can be looked at a few ways. It's better because you can have an outright acceptance, but you could also be rejected or wait listed. Most likely if they are still contemplating their decision, the chance of an outright rejection is slim. I'd much rather be deferred than wait listed, because it still gives you a chance for acceptance.
Good luck!
Is anyone living/has anyone lived in Imperial towers? Basically just want a safe and clean place to live within walking distance to school. What do you think? Thanks!
How long did it take for them to cash your large deposit check?
How long did it take for them to cash your large deposit check?
I paid by credit card last Friday and they e-mailed me today saying my spot was reserved.
Congrats too all the accepted PCOM students from the class of 2016. I am posting this to offer a recommendation for the apartment that I am currently moving out of. The apartment is a pet friendly 2 bedroom, 1 bath w/ basement and a garage in a split level duplex. The apartment is literally a 7-10 minute walk from school and is infinitely better than living in an apartment complex. Rent is $800/month + utilities. PM me to get any further details, it will be available July 1st.
wait listed 5/3...
Email on 4/23
"The Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine Faculty Committee on Admissions has asked I send you this message regarding your "hold" decision for the DO Class of 2016. Due to the volume of applications, it is taking the Committee longer to review files and render additional decisions.* We appreciate your understanding of the rolling admissions process and*appreciate your patience. The Faculty expect to*get*letters*to hold applicants by May 4, 2012."
Still nothing..... Anyone else?
"The Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine Faculty Committee on Admissions has asked I send you this message regarding your "hold" decision for the DO Class of 2016. Due to the volume of applications, it is taking the Committee longer to review files and render additional decisions.* We appreciate your understanding of the rolling admissions process and*appreciate your patience. The Faculty expect to*get*letters*to hold applicants by May 4, 2012."
Still nothing..... Anyone else?
Email on 4/23
"The Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine Faculty Committee on Admissions has asked I send you this message regarding your "hold" decision for the DO Class of 2016. Due to the volume of applications, it is taking the Committee longer to review files and render additional decisions.* We appreciate your understanding of the rolling admissions process and*appreciate your patience. The Faculty expect to*get*letters*to hold applicants by May 4, 2012."
Still nothing..... Anyone else?
I am still getting nothing either....frantically checking my mail everyday lol
I am still getting nothing either....frantically checking my mail everyday lol
I called yesterday morning and they told me to expect something by the end of the month. 🙁
So as I mentioned above: I interviewed in late Jan, was deferred until April, re-deferred to May 5, and found out on May 3 that I'm on the wait list. When I called the PCOM admissions office, they said that acceptance letters will still be sent by mail unless it's really late in the season and they need an immediate answer. Not surprisingly, they wouldn't tell me anything else. Good luck guys
I was in the same boat as you, however I just withdrew my application and wait list spot. Hope this helps you!
KCUMB Class of 2016
KCUMB Class of 2016
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone heard anything about Fairmount Terrace?
So as I mentioned above: I interviewed in late Jan, was deferred until April, re-deferred to May 5, and found out on May 3 that I'm on the wait list. When I called the PCOM admissions office, they said that acceptance letters will still be sent by mail unless it's really late in the season and they need an immediate answer. Not surprisingly, they wouldn't tell me anything else. Good luck guys
Accepted on Saturday 🙂, sending my deposit in today. How long did it take people to get things like financial aid forms after you were accepted off the wait-list?
Thanks!
I'm sure it was sorta a first come first serve thing, but Pcom does not just randomly choose students off of the wait list. They like to keep their demographics consistent so when a student withdraws, they pull a student off that is similar (similar grades, mcat score, race, age, etc).
does anyone know how many people they put on their wait list?
has anyone received a post interview rejection?
HDad - that would be great to know how many ppl are on the list....but i am still sitting on the list and havent heard of any recent rejections....idk if that helps lol
yeah, i am starting to get the feeling they dont do post interview rejections...just put you low on a waitlist
Similar threads
- Replies
- 437
- Views
- 132K
- Replies
- 652
- Views
- 174K
- Replies
- 130
- Views
- 35K
- Replies
- 181
- Views
- 27K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 21K