pcom philly histo place out exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willen101383

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone take this exam? Is it very difficult? Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

while I havent taken histo before and obviously will not be attempting the exam, I'd probably only take it (and expect to pass) unless I literally just finished a histo course. needing a minimum 20/25 does not leave much room for error. That being said, there isnt much to lose by trying it. If it's difficult, you fail, which isnt a big deal on a place-out exam. If not, then you buy yourself more time to study other stuff. I say take it.

Take it if you've ever taken a histo course before. Just review the material a day or 2 before and you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take it if you've ever taken a histo course before. Just review the material a day or 2 before and you'll be fine.

So I take it you took this exam? How much detail does it go into?

while I havent taken histo before and obviously will not be attempting the exam, I'd probably only take it (and expect to pass) unless I literally just finished a histo course. needing a minimum 20/25 does not leave much room for error. That being said, there isnt much to lose by trying it. If it's difficult, you fail, which isnt a big deal on a place-out exam. If not, then you buy yourself more time to study other stuff. I say take it.

I actually took histo as an undergrad...so that was 6 years ago. However, ive been a clinical lab technologist and doing all sorts of microscopy and what not in my daily practice. In grad school we did histology of the bone muscle and CT..so thats a decent bit right there. I am going to give it a shot. 80 is a fairly decent grade...and she said if you dont really want to stick with that 80 you can reject the score and take the course.

With your background willen, you'll be fine. Just review some slides the night before.

second year here at pcom. don't remember what the rule is but i did take histo in undergrad but decided not to take the place out exam due to lack of confidence. so i took the class, which can be cumbersome at times (since it is extra hours in a long day), but the practicals aren't bad at all.

someone from years gone by put together a powerpoint of all the slides tested and it's a great study tool. a buddy of mine took the place out exam, got a 90, while i took the class and did a lot better (along with many of my other friends). but there really is no right answer. if you're comfortable with your stuff then take the exam bc i think you still have a choice on whether or not to accept the grade or take the practicals.

remember that you're only placing out of the practicals and quizzes. you're still responsible for all of the written histo that you'll see along with the gross anatomy, radiology, embryology, etc.

if you have any further questions feel free to pm me or ask further

second year here at pcom. don't remember what the rule is but i did take histo in undergrad but decided not to take the place out exam due to lack of confidence. so i took the class, which can be cumbersome at times (since it is extra hours in a long day), but the practicals aren't bad at all.

someone from years gone by put together a powerpoint of all the slides tested and it's a great study tool. a buddy of mine took the place out exam, got a 90, while i took the class and did a lot better (along with many of my other friends). but there really is no right answer. if you're comfortable with your stuff then take the exam bc i think you still have a choice on whether or not to accept the grade or take the practicals.

remember that you're only placing out of the practicals and quizzes. you're still responsible for all of the written histo that you'll see along with the gross anatomy, radiology, embryology, etc.

if you have any further questions feel free to pm me or ask further

Cool....ive been talking to people at orientation and the consensus was to not take it...so I dont think I am going to.

What is the reasoning behind the consensus to not take the exam?

Don't take it. Most ppl get >90% on the course - its really easy. So unless u can guarantee that you'll get > 90% on the place out exam, don't take it.

~best of luck

PCOM omsIV