PCOM post-bac program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sara185

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone -

I just got a letter from PCOM saying that they had decided to delay my application for their post-bac program in Philly and that they will keep looking at it occasionally until they make a final decision.

I was wondering if any of you knew anything more about this or if it had happened to any of you - do I actually have a shot of getting in there or is it just a prolonged rejection? I was planning on sending in my final semester of senior year grades as soon as I have them but wasn't sure what else to do? I really wanted to do the post-bac program in Philly for next year, it was my first choice.

Thanks for all your help!

Sara

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone -

I just got a letter from PCOM saying that they had decided to delay my application for their post-bac program in Philly and that they will keep looking at it occasionally until they make a final decision.

I was wondering if any of you knew anything more about this or if it had happened to any of you - do I actually have a shot of getting in there or is it just a prolonged rejection? I was planning on sending in my final semester of senior year grades as soon as I have them but wasn't sure what else to do? I really wanted to do the post-bac program in Philly for next year, it was my first choice.

Thanks for all your help!

Sara

I have heard of this happening at other programs before, it basically means they don't want to reject you, but they think there are better candidates out there so they want to wait and see before they make a final decision. So, don't give up just yet, send in those grades as soon as you have them, they can make an impact on their decision (especially if they are really stellar grades). Remember, PCOM accepts applications until July 15th..so you still have a ways to go. I myself will not be complete until end of next week or early the following week and because of this I emailed them about how competitive they thought I might be (just because I know it will be well into summer before I hear either way and I want to have an idea of whether or not they will push my file to the side or review it sooner). They said I would be a good candidate....what were your stats?(pm them if you want). I would suggest calling them and asking if there was anything you could do to improve your app and also to find out where exactly you stand. I don't know how many people have been accepted so far or how many people they accept into the program. Just work hard on keeping your grades up this semester and hope for the best but plan for the worst. :luck: :luck: !!!

-PlAnEjaNe

Has anyone been accepted yet? I got an email saying the class isn't full, so that's good news.

-PlAnEjaNe

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your suggestion and good luck with your application :)
I think my application was complete mid-april so they responded pretty quickly actually. I'll pm my stats to you.

I got the same letter.

Well, the good news is that they respond rather quickly, tha't almost a relief, bitter sweet for some, but a relief nonetheless. I submitted my app last Wednesday and got a letter in the mail stating that I still needed to send in transcripts and all that (which I have already done) so it seems they are really on top of things (unlike ahem drexel..cough-cough ahem). Anyhow, I hope that we all get in the program because it looks like a really great program and essentially a feeder into PCOM medschool. :luck: :luck:

-PlAnEjaNe

sara185 -

How long between when you got the letter saying your application was complete and the letter you got saying they'll keep looking?

I think they sent me a decision within a couple weeks of my application being complete. They were very on top of the whole process - I got a letter a few days after I submitted my application reminding me they still needed a letter of rec and as soon as that was sent in, I got a letter almost immediately saying my application was complete.

Any news?? I think I will call Wednesday to see if my app is complete.

-PlAnEjaNe

Bump?? Anyone?? Anyone?? Anyone?? Bueller??

:sleep: :sleep:

-PlAnEjaNe

I sent in my application in mid jan. and got a letter saying my file was complete within 2 weeks. I got my acceptance letter the last week of feb. They said that at that time they had only accepted 3 students. I don't know how many they've accepted so far though. Good luck. I hope you get in! I just went to visit Philly for the first time on monday, and I found a place to live. I'm living in the rittenhouse claridge apartments. I visited the campus for the first time as well. It's really pretty, and there were a lot of students around.

I was accepted in early April. Good luck to everyone.

Lost in Philly

Just received confirmation that my application is complete at PCOM. Hopefully I will hear back within a couple of weeks...it's getting down to the wire here, being mid-May and all. I don't want to have only 2 weeks to find a place, move, and acclimate to the east coast (I am from sunny socal so needless to say it will quite a bit of a shocker for me). Does anyone know when classes start? Is there an orientation?

-PlAnEjaNe

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got a letter two days ago that said they received my completed application (huge problem with getting transcripts out). I have been calling almost everyday asking about my status and they told me that the class is still not full, takes about 60 students, and applications are still being accepted. I really hope I can get into this program seeing as how the classes seem interesting and can lead to DO program acceptance.

I just got a letter in the mail saying they were going to delay my application. Does anyone know how long after being delayed that they make a final decision? When are the last decisions made?

I got into umdnj's program (stratford campus) and that is where I am headed as of now...I think the PCOM program is better though, mostly because I am not a nj resident (cali) and umdnj is a state school so they don't accept many oos applicants for their med school (md or do). Does anyone recommend PCOM over umdnj (if I get into PCOM)?? I would like to know the differences and benefits between the two. Thanks.

-PlAnEjaNe

i asked them the same question... the only answer (if u can all it that) is that the committee can make decisions anytime from now until the start of classes... doesnt help much huh? thats PCOM for u

...had a question for those who did apply tho... did you apply to the DO program prior to applying to the postbacc?? and if so how does that affect ur chances of getting in?? any info would be greatly appreciated

it seems like PCOM delayed the decision for many applicants. I hope they make a decision soon. Not all applicants can wait until the beginning of the class.

it seems like PCOM delayed the decision for many applicants. I hope they make a decision soon. Not all applicants can wait until the beginning of the class.

Yes, this is very frustrating...on a more comical note...I got a phone call today from Drexel IMS/MSP inviting me for a phone interview :laugh::laugh:

Yes, I will do the interview..but I'm not holding my breath or anything for that program.

-PlAnEjaNe

I got into PCOM-GA last week as well but I'm turning it down to go to BU instead. I would have considered PCOM-Philly but I think I'm going to withdraw because I don't want to wait anymore on the "delayed" application and I want to go ahead and sign a lease in Boston. Sorry just venting - this whole process is slightly frustrating.

Good luck guys - hopefully PCOM-Philly will let you all know soon - with good news!

Yes, this is very frustrating...on a more comical note...I got a phone call today from Drexel IMS/MSP inviting me for a phone interview :laugh::laugh:

Yes, I will do the interview..but I'm not holding my breath or anything for that program.

-PlAnEjaNe

I just interviewed for IMS, and I am holding my breath.

are any of you re-taking the pre-req's by attending this post-bacc... or are you all career switchers?

I don't think this program is for career switchers, or to retake prereq's. It's a graduate program that just gives you a chance to prove yourself in med school type classes.

i just got a letter from PCOM about the delayed decision on my application... i was wondering what the deal is with this and if anyone had any helpful info on this... pcom is my only postbacc place i applied to and i really need to get in

i just got a letter from PCOM about the delayed decision on my application... i was wondering what the deal is with this and if anyone had any helpful info on this... pcom is my only postbacc place i applied to and i really need to get in

Well, there's good news and bad news. The good news is that they re-review applicants fairly often and so you could find out as early as a week that you are accepted or as late as the day before orientation :)()

The bad news is that when I talked to them the other day about the 'delayed decision' the lady told me that last year not one person was accepted off of the list :eek: However, she did state that it was their fault in that everyone that they accepted enrolled and therefore the class was over-enrolled. This time she said that they are not going to make too many acceptances because of what happened last year and that as a result there are always spots open. She couldn't tell me how many spots were left (she indicated that the class was fairly full already) and she couldn't tell me what the chances of being pulled off the list were (since it is not ranked).

I would say that the odds are more like 30/70 (acceptance/rejection). If I were you I would have a back-up plan just in case. Good Luck! :luck::luck:

-PlAnEjaNe

I agree w/ Planejane. I think it would be good to have a back up option. I think you can apply to PCOM-GA for free. It seems like PCOM-Philly biomed became more tough to get into this year.

hey i just got into PCOM-GA, anybody know if it is any good?

just got a letter from pcom-philly... got in... just continued to send them letter of my intention and desire to get into the program... also went to the office once and met with someone to tell them my situation and how much i wanted to be in the program.... there is still hope for ppl who want to get in

Congratualation Whyzkid99. It has been so long that I even forgot I applied to PCOM. I already chose where to go this year and very satisfied w/ my choice. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting.

I got into PCOM-GA last week as well but I'm turning it down to go to BU instead. I would have considered PCOM-Philly but I think I'm going to withdraw because I don't want to wait anymore on the "delayed" application and I want to go ahead and sign a lease in Boston. Sorry just venting - this whole process is slightly frustrating.

Good luck guys - hopefully PCOM-Philly will let you all know soon - with good news!

hey hey congratulations to those who have been accepted and good luck to those still waiting!

I was accepted into pcom- philly about two months ago. I also sent my application in early though, around March I'd say.

For those still waiting, I do know someone who accepted another offer and will be withdrawing from pcom's program, so hopefully that spot will go to one of you! :)

sara185- I actually got accepted into BU-MAMS program as well. now I don't know what to do b/c I thought I had everything set by going to PCOM-philly. is there any particular reason why you'd go to BU over PCOM? any advice is greatly appreciated!

i recommend pcom-philly b/c of the great location... there so much to do closeby in manayunk, conshohocken, and center city... also doing the postbacc at pcom is great if u want to get into their DO program next year, which is what i plan on doing... AND if ur the outgoing party type, pcom has some of the greatest partyers including the DO students

i recommend pcom-philly b/c of the great location... there so much to do closeby in manayunk, conshohocken, and center city... also doing the postbacc at pcom is great if u want to get into their DO program next year, which is what i plan on doing... AND if ur the outgoing party type, pcom has some of the greatest partyers including the DO students

Thanks for the advice! i went to college around philly area, so i definitely know what you mean about the life around here. have you started your aacom app? they guarantee their certificate students an interview into their DO, but not a seat, so it's best to start the aacom app before the program actually starts. are you planning on retaking the mcat as well?

Thanks for the advice! i went to college around philly area, so i definitely know what you mean about the life around here. have you started your aacom app? they guarantee their certificate students an interview into their DO, but not a seat, so it's best to start the aacom app before the program actually starts. are you planning on retaking the mcat as well?

i've been filling out the aacom app throughout the summer and am going to retake the mcats in august right before classes start

sara185- I actually got accepted into BU-MAMS program as well. now I don't know what to do b/c I thought I had everything set by going to PCOM-philly. is there any particular reason why you'd go to BU over PCOM? any advice is greatly appreciated!

Hi ddimples -

So I guess for me, the reason I chose BU MAMS was mostly because in talking to people, it seemed to me that BU just had a better reputation. Yes, it is more expensive but my advisor recommended the BU program to me, and had good things to say about it for my situation. I guess there were a lot of different factors, including that I want to try and apply to a few allopathic schools as well, and I'm hoping BU will help with that. I don't know if you are in this type of situation though - my advisor thought I had a shot still at MD schools so I want to go for that because I know, that even if she is wrong, I will never forgive myself if I don't try (not that anything is wrong with DO, I think it's great).

Mostly, a close friend of mine was in a similar situation and chose another SMP-type program (not PCOM though) over BU MAMS. She did fine in the program but said that interviewers were not impressed with it because they had not heard of the program - it didn't have the reputation and she wished she had went to BU instead. We're really similar and she applied to medical schools I am also interested in so it made sense to me to choose BU (blah does that make sense - it's late)

Also, I just found out that I got into PCOM - Philly yesterday (was accepted into the GA campus last month but not really interested in going there). First, I think if I had been offered admission earlier, I would have chosen BU because of the reasons above and more - sorry I'm too sleepy to type up. Second, I'm all set for Boston at this point and I don't want to second-guess my decision. I sent the decline of acceptance right away so I don't have time to change my mind :)

Good luck deciding though - this is such a crazy process!

Who sent in their aacomas yet? I just started getting secondaries and I'm having a lot of trouble finding the motivation to work on them.

Congrats to all of you who got in. We'll be seeing each other in about a month.

Anyone who have been accepted to one-year MBS Program at UMDNJ-stratford?

I will be taking at class with medical students which requires me to be there on July 31st where the rest of class will be in by the end of August.
Anyone? in MBS program...taking the medical school class? Plz PM me because i need to share an apartment.

Good luck to those who are waiting..n Congrats! to those who got in.
:)

Anyone who have been accepted to one-year MBS Program at UMDNJ-stratford?

I will be taking at class with medical students which requires me to be there on July 31st where the rest of class will be in by the end of August.
Anyone? in MBS program...taking the medical school class? Plz PM me because i need to share an apartment.

Good luck to those who are waiting..n Congrats! to those who got in.
:)

I will be attending the UMDNJ program. I pm-ed you a response about roommates. I hope other people in our class will be compelled to post on sdn because it feels so lonely out there right now....I have only seen 3-4 people on here that will be attending this program. I was hoping others might have some insight into what it will be like.

-PlAnEjaNe :)

can anyone offer any insight with regards to the difference(s) between PCOM philly and PCOM Ga?

I got into the latter today, but from having called PCOM Ga a few months ago - they seem really disorganized and it turns me off from wanting to go there..

Also, how does PCOM stack up against other SMP/post-bacc programs (NYMC, UMDNJ-newark, Barry, Drexel, BU; and how do these stack up against each other?)

Is PCOM specifically for kids shootin for the osteopathic route?

I'm also interested in comparing the pcom-GA and the pcom-philly programs. I was accepted into the former and waitlisted at the latter.
I am also curious as to how the pcom-GA would fare against an SMP like Midwestern-AZ. Both programs offer one-year certificates with the option of contuining into a two-year masters degree program. With SMPs that are similar in academic track, do the main differences come down to personal preference for where you would rather live, cost, etc. when comparing them, or is there some sort of understood and generalized "ranking" list for biomedical sciences SMPs that can affect how future ad-coms view your graduate work?

Also, do any students have any experiences or knowledge regarding the wait-list procedures (turnaround time for hearing back from them, etc) at pcom-philly? Thank you for any help!

Im a predent doing the PCOM program. haven't heard one negative thing about the program other than its a full 2 years if you want the masters. Any other predents as of now on this site for PCOM??