PCOM summer course??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

BostonGirl

Hey all. I am wandering what the deal with PCOM's summer biomedical sciences course. I just got the letter in the mail about it this week. All that class time, money, etc, with no credits. Is it worth it?
I was a science major in college and although I haven't been in school for a year, I wouldn't say that my skills or knowledge are "rusty".
I am planning a little vacation in July that would be at the same time as the course. So, I am just wondering what the deal is.

So, who's taking the course and why?

thanks!
BostonGirl
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad.

I was going to post about the course today as well. I don't know what to think. It may be a little too intense for the summer considering we will start classes less than a month after that. I feel it might be better to realx during the summer. I just don't know.

michael

My advice: DON'T DO IT!!!!!

It is just basically a way for PCOm tpmake some extra cash while trying to throw the fear of God into you a little bit early (there will be plenty of time for that later with Dr. Miller and everyone else).

My background - science major in college (no biochem) but out for some time. I did not take the course, and I did JUST FINE in the course (IBMS, pending results of the final 2 days ago which was a bear). I know 3 people who took the summer course. I did better than all of them on the first 2 tests (the first test is the brunt of the summer material). I am not a rocket scientist, I just studied hard. These people studied, but probably not as hard as I did - partly because they had the material before. In all likelihood they forgot most of what they lerned this summer. Hell, I have already forgotten what I learned for my final 2 days ago!

The bottom line is that IBMS is a bitch, and nearly everyone struggles. But with hard work, nearly everyone gets through.

It will give you a leg upon meeting people so you won't feel like a loner at orientation (like I did). But things all sort themselves out before too long.

So enjoy your last summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking about taking the course. I am from Boston and it would give me an excuse to go down to philly early and get myself acclumated. However, I also am not in any hurry to leave Boston I just feel that things will be easier next year if i am settled well before school starts. Because the class is so intensive, does anyone regret taking it because they were burnt out before they started. I think if i were to take it i would take the class to get into the flow of studying again since i graduated last year. I realize it might not improve my grade first year but is it worthwhile for the above reasons?

Hi...

I am a first year and I did not take the class this summer. I graduated from college last spring with a science background, but no biochem and I think the class would have been helpful for me if for no other reason than a way to introduce me to other people in the class. I know a few people who did take the class and some say that it was good and others say that it was a waste of time. I was told that it was very rigorous (just like the class will be when you have it during the semester) but it gives you an introduction to the material so that when its time to take it during the year it is not brand new. I would recommend the course, but if you have better plans for the that time, don't worry about missing it. Everyone will be stressed out when you have it during the trimester regardless or whether or not they've had the material before.

Best of luck!

P.S. I know a lot of you are wondering about housing. I live in Lincoln Green this year and love it. It is on the expensive side, but if you can swing it, I highly recommend it. You get a lot for your money and it is worth it.
smile.gif