PCOM vs COMP-NW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penguinalhernia

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I've been fortunate to get acceptances to 3 DO schools, and I've narrowed it down to my top 2, PCOM and COMP-NW. I know the two schools are so different, and they really have different pros/cons in my book, so I'd love to get some advice/insight. Thanks!

Tuition is roughly equal at both schools, so I'm not including it as a factor. I'm undecided on what specialty I want to do, though I'm leaning towards an IM sub-specialty, or maybe anesthesiology.

PCOM
  • PROS
    • It's one of the original DO schools and has a great reputation. If I change my mind toward something more competitive, PCOM has in-house residencies which could really help when it's time to match.
    • Very strong clinical rotations, although some are quite far from campus
    • Being in a big city, especially a healthcare hub like Philly, means more opportunities for research
  • CONS
    • Distance from home. I'm from Oregon, and there are no non-stop flights between PDX and PHL. I know realistically, I'd only be visiting once or twice a year, but being 8+ hours of flying away from my family is definitely daunting
    • I'm not sure if I'll like the East Coast. I visited Philly for a weekend, but it's hard to get a good feel in that short of a time
    • Curriculum concerns. I can't get a straight answer on how long students get for dedicated, and the school is changing from trimesters to quarters in between my M1 and M2 years, so I'm worried they're taking away summer break. Additionally, clinical years seem quite strict, with little time for vacation, board prep, etc.

COMP-NW
  • PROS
    • Close to home. I'd be a 1.5-hour drive from my family, and having them close could be really nice. I've also been wanting to move back to the Pacific NW, and this would be a great chance. I love the easy access to hiking, skiing, and the coast.
    • Pre-clinical curriculum. Although more OMM-heavy than PCOM, COMP-NW has Special Tracks within the program, and seems to have more opportunities to personalize your education.
    • I loved the vibes I got from my student ambassadors. The campus and town seem so tight-knit, and having that support system would be incredible
  • CONS
    • Lebanon is small, and the closest town, Corvallis, is a college town. Not as many events/concerts, good restaurants, etc
    • I'm moving with my partner, and he's expressed significant concerns about finding a job and making friends in a small town
    • More scattered clinical rotations. 50% of students rotate at the hospital in Corvallis, which is a great site. And there's lots of rotations in Portland, which I would love. But some rotations are scattered throughout Oregon and Washington

Members don't see this ad.