PNWU vs. Western U COMP-NW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bogwitch97

Reaction score

Hey ya'll. I was lucky enough to get two acceptances in the PNW. I didn't think I'd have such a hard time choosing! I'm pretty flexible in my learning style so I'm more focused on what the clinicals are gonna look like. For background, I've worked in emergency medicine for the past 4 years but don't see myself doing EM/surgery/any crazy selective specialty. That being said I do still want the option to specialize.

PNWU:
Pros
- Closer to my friends/family in Seattle
- Cheaper cost of living in Yakima
- More rotation sites in and around Washington
- I've heard good things about the preceptors on rotations from students currently attending
Cons
- Less research opportunities
- Slightly lower board pass rates
- Seems very focused on rural primary care

COMP NW:
Pros:
- Still reasonably close to Seattle and closer to a city
- Seems to have more research opportunities and less of a primary care focus
- Higher board pass rates
Cons:
- Unsure of the system they use for rotations
- Fewer options in the PNW for rotation sites
- Haven't gotten much input on the quality of rotations/student experience. Old posts have said they use a lottery system but I'm unsure if that's still the case.
I'd love any insight or if anyone feels comfortable sharing their experience at either school. Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

I say Western. PNWU is a great school with supportive faulty (interviewed there) but you will be sent all over for rotations and it is not a research heavy site. Many students said it's really hard to get research unless you make connections and search for them. Western will at least help you keep your options open. Take note that Western has mandatory attendance and graded curriculum while PNWU is P/F with no mandatory attendance. Are you in-state for PNWU?

Last edited:
I say Western. PNWU is a great school with supportive faulty (interviewed there) but you will be sent all over for rotations and it is not a research heavy site. Many students said it's really hard to get research unless you make connections and search for them. Western will at least help you keep your options open. Take note that Western has mandatory attendance and graded curriculum while PNWU is P/F with no mandatory attendance. Are you in-state for PNWU?
Yeah, I've been living in Washington for the past 8 years so most of my connections/support system is in the area.

Yeah, I've been living in Washington for the past 8 years so most of my connections/support system is in the area.
For you I would say go to PNWU! If family support is important to you and they have a P/F curriculum which will be really nice!