PCOM vs. LECOM for GPA enhancement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drpduck

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've decided I need a postbacc to help out my gpa (~3.0). I'm pre-dental and have not gotten into any schools this year. Which one would be better for GPA enhancement? I will have a B.S. in Bio this may, so I've already taken all the pre req's plus a couple upper level bio's (biochem, developmental).

Recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

Bump...........anyone have ideas?

My understanding is that PCOM is a Master's program. If you want to do two years and get your MS, then that could help your app. However the classes you take the first year are all graduate level classes and won't help your undergrad GPA.
If you want to do one years worth of undergrad classes and go dental, I'd recommend Penn pre-health.

Members don't see this ad :)
MasterShakeDO said:
My understanding is that PCOM is a Master's program. If you want to do two years and get your MS, then that could help your app. However the classes you take the first year are all graduate level classes and won't help your undergrad GPA.
If you want to do one years worth of undergrad classes and go dental, I'd recommend Penn pre-health.

master shake,

so are you saying that the undergrad grades are more important to med and dental schools than grad grades? that's what i've heard.

drpduck said:
So I've decided I need a postbacc to help out my gpa (~3.0). I'm pre-dental and have not gotten into any schools this year. Which one would be better for GPA enhancement? I will have a B.S. in Bio this may, so I've already taken all the pre req's plus a couple upper level bio's (biochem, developmental).

Recommendations?

From my understanding, neither lecom nor pcom help your gpa, because as mentioned before, they are graduate classes. you might want to persuse other programs that offer that, or take some more undergrad classes. both lecom and pcom offer 2 year masters, and one year certificate in bio sciences. they are pretty good about getting you into do school if your interest centers around that, but since youre pre dental, check out other schools.

ThePersianJew said:
From my understanding, neither lecom nor pcom help your gpa, because as mentioned before, they are graduate classes. you might want to persuse other programs that offer that, or take some more undergrad classes. both lecom and pcom offer 2 year masters, and one year certificate in bio sciences. they are pretty good about getting you into do school if your interest centers around that, but since youre pre dental, check out other schools.

From what I understood, grad classes not taken towards a degree (like their 1 yr certificate) will factor into undergrad GPA average.

However when you start a grad degree, then your GPA is then a grad GPA.

Most schools have recommended I take upper level courses.
On PCOM's site, it talks about the DAT and how many grads of the PCOM programs (1yr or MS, i'm not sure which) go onto professional school......med, dental, vet, etc.... Which is what attracted me to the program.