PCOM Wait List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boodgie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone been wait-listed for PCOM? I interviewed 1/29 and found out last Sat that I've been wait-listed. Oh..the agony!:eek:
Also, might anyone be able to shed some light on the wait list process at PCOM...I've read conflicting info.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Its hard to say since their use of the waitlist has changed the last few years. The last two years they have had higher then expected yields and have offered deferments for anyone who wanted them. They still have taken people off the waitlist though (haven't figured out why but they do). I have not heard of anyone the last two years getting a call during orientation that a spot was open. Prior to those years that occured frequently.

I know they seem to look at the waitlist throughout the year and pull candidates off.

Sorry I am kind of vague but PCOM is somewhat secretive of their process and you find out things from others.

Thanks JonnyG.
Another Q...Are most people selected from the wait list Bio Med students? I've also heard that PCOM doesn't rank the wait list and that people that withdraw their seats are replaced by wait-listers that are similar. Do you know if these wait-listers are similar by demographics or stats?
And applicants offered deferrments..are they people that were originally wait-listed or accepted?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi MaximusD,
Not really wanting to share stats...shall we say that my MCAT is lower than your's and my GPA is 3.76. I felt confident after the interview and I thought that my numerous clinical experiences and research experience, along with college accolades and good LORs would overcome my weak MCAT. Needless to say, I'm crushed.
I believe that you're on hold? Best of luck to you! Hopefully we'll be seeing each other in August...

Hi MaximusD,
Not really wanting to share stats...shall we say that my MCAT is lower than your's and my GPA is 3.76. I felt confident after the interview and I thought that my numerous clinical experiences and research experience, along with college accolades and good LORs would overcome my weak MCAT. Needless to say, I'm crushed.
I believe that on hold? Best of luck to you! Hopefully we'll be seeing each other in August...

I definitely hope that we both get a seat! Can you describe yourself... maybe i'll remember you. I was wearing a black subtly striped suit, red tie, talked with DO Sigma Nu Guy a lot haha. There were a lot of people on our interview day so it is hard to remember everyone. Who were your interviewers?

Anyway, my heart was set on PCOM and being put on hold was a HUGE letdown. I think until I hear back I'm just going to be happy that I got into Midwestern U, which is a great school too (I dont really want to move out of state...). Good luck to you with the rest of your apps as well!

Good luck to you, and hopefully we'll be classmates suffering through our cardio block this time next year ;)

I'm female...reddish curly hair. sat across from you...talked about explaining DNA to a 5th grader.
So I guess you're not on hold anymore..they found your grades? I'd say you have a good shot at getting in (with those MCAT scores:) ). This guessing/waiting game is going to be rough.
I think I'll be happy at WVSOM, which I really liked; however, my first choice is PCOM.
I have yet to hear from NYCOM or CCOM...called CCOM and they said that my app has been reviewed, but no decision has been made...called NYCOM today and they said they just started reviewing OOS. :sleep:

I'm female...reddish curly hair. sat across from you...talked about explaining DNA to a 5th grader.
So I guess you're not on hold anymore..they found your grades? I'd say you have a good shot at getting in (with those MCAT scores:) ). This guessing/waiting game is going to be rough.
I think I'll be happy at WVSOM, which I really liked; however, my first choice is PCOM.
I have yet to hear from NYCOM or CCOM...called CCOM and they said that my app has been reviewed, but no decision has been made...called NYCOM today and they said they just started reviewing OOS. :sleep:

Oh yeah... hey I didn't mean to bash WVSOM that day.. was that you I was talking to? Anyway, I really loved WVSOM I just would rather not have such an emphasis on rural medicine which is why I went with CCOM. WVSOM's a great school and the community is inexpensive (which probably makes up for the 7k price difference between CCOM [41k] and WVSOM [48k])! I was surprised that CCOM gave me so much attention... I sort of think that it's because I was creative with my application essay which had actual citations (footnotes) and quotations from their website and highlighted how each attribute was a good fit for me.

I really am trying not to think about PCOM all that much. I am sorry that you are on the waitlist, but like JonnyG said, there is some movement. Again, hopefully we'll both be getting good news in the near future :) It's great that we're both in somewhere! How many premeds can't say that...

If it makes you feel any better, I have been complete at NYCOM since the first week of September and haven't heard a thing!

Hi Max,
I don't recall you "bashing" the school. I remember you saying that you really liked the school, except for the rotation options...I think.
If you get any "insider" info regarding the wait list, let me know!:D