PCSAS recognized by govt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DynamicDidactic

Still Kickin'
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of September 28 2012, the Psychological Clinical Science Accreditation System (PCSAS) received formal recognition from the Council of Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. I'm honestly not sure what this means long-term, although I can't say I'm necessarily too thrilled with the idea of another recognized national training/accreditation standard, given that we've had enough trouble adapting and adhering to the one that's been around for decades. But if nothing else, maybe it'll light a fire under APA's behind now that they aren't the only show in town.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have a web link for that? The most recent thing I could find is this http://www.chea.org/pdf/Recognition%20Summary%20for%20PCSAS.pdf
the best I can do for you is this
http://www.pcsas.org/
The Committee on Recognition met in June and voted to recommend to the Board that PCSAS be granted recognition status. This recommendation was forwarded to the Board for final action at its September 25, 2012 meeting.
I do not know of any link online

the news came across a listserv

I think this will be good news if it forces FSPS to be held to higher standards, especially if it causes them to restrict cohort size to manageable levels.

How would this happen? I feel like I'm missing a connection here, as a FSPS would never even consider applying for PCSAS accreditation.

How would this happen? I feel like I'm missing a connection here, as a FSPS would never even consider applying for PCSAS accreditation.
of course they wouldn't, nor will they ever reduce their class sizes.

I think what could hypothetically happen is that programs we'd probably consider to be kosher (e.g., Uni-based PhD programs) would also obtain this accreditation, while FSPS would stick with APA (or none). It would cause a formal difference between these types of programs.

Seems bold, but quite interesting. I'll be tuned in.

I think what could hypothetically happen is that programs we'd probably consider to be kosher (e.g., Uni-based PhD programs) would also obtain this accreditation, while FSPS would stick with APA (or none). It would cause a formal difference between these types of programs.

Seems bold, but quite interesting. I'll be tuned in.

This. If PCSAS became the preferred/primary accrediting body--which would take a considerable amount of time, if it happened at all--FSPS could be forced out of the market, so to speak, that way. Alternatively, FSPS could change to align themselves with PCSAS standards if PCSAS were to hypothetically become the primary accrediting agency in the eyes of internship directors, licensing boards, etc.

It could potentially create a "change or die" situation for FSPS.

Of course, this all assumes the hypothetical that PCSAS gains a lot of power and recognition among people who matter. If they flop or remain very niche, it is unlikely to produce any great change.

This. If PCSAS became the preferred/primary accrediting body--which would take a considerable amount of time, if it happened at all--FSPS could be forced out of the market, so to speak, that way. Alternatively, FSPS could change to align themselves with PCSAS standards if PCSAS were to hypothetically become the primary accrediting agency in the eyes of internship directors, licensing boards, etc.

It could potentially create a "change or die" situation for FSPS.

Of course, this all assumes the hypothetical that PCSAS gains a lot of power and recognition among people who matter. If they flop or remain very niche, it is unlikely to produce any great change.

I don't think that will ever happen. It seems to me that if this PCSAS works as intended, it just will create two tiers of accreditation standards. I'd imagine the FSPS would just stick with APA, since they've already pretty much bought APA. If the rates of growth continue as they have, we'd be looking at a large contingency of psychologists from FSPS in APA, and (maybe 15-20 years from now) a considerably smaller group of psychologists from Uni-based programs that have elected to go wtih this more rigorous accreditations standard process.

I doubt PCSAS would become the primary accrediting body ever (just given the sheer numbers of FSPS students), but it would suggest an alternative training standard that is considered more rigorous.

Last edited:
Would PCSAS ever accredit more balanced PhD programs though?