PCWP and venous return?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fox800

Go to the ER now to see if you have coronavirus.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, FA2014 on p.222 says that in distributive shock states, PCWP would be decreased while venous return would increase. I'm having trouble getting this. In my mind, increased venous return would increase LA filling pressure and therefore PCWP. More fluid returning = more pressure. What am I not understanding about this?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A complete hazard guess, but you have increased venous return from the vasodilation..??
but could it be that the increased heart rate lowers venous pressure, and ergo LA filling pressure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
A complete hazard guess, but you have increased venous return from the vasodilation..??
but could it be that the increased heart rate lowers venous pressure, and ergo LA filling pressure.

And the fact that the large drop in systemic vascular resistance causes a baroreflex that increases HR and contractility (increased cardiac output) and attempts--but fails--at arterial vasoconstriction. With the heart trying to shove out as much blood out as it can, wedge pressure is expected to be low.

Reactions: 1 users

And the fact that the large drop in systemic vascular resistance causes a baroreflex that increases HR and contractility (increased cardiac output) and attempts--but fails--at arterial vasoconstriction. With the heart trying to shove out as much blood out as it can, wedge pressure is expected to be low.
Right on. I'll equate that to decrease ventricular filling in tachycardia.

Thanks everyone!