Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

PDA for clinicals

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by virtu, Dec 1, 2008.

1. virtu

5+ Year Member

thinking about buying a PDA for upcoming clinicals. any recommendations? suprised google/SDN forum search didn't really result in anything recent or convincing.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr McSteamy

Dr McSteamy sh*tting in your backyard
    2+ Year Member

any windows mobile based smartphone or pdaphone will suffice.

cell phone companies are giving them away for free with plan. check letstalk.com for nice phones

e.g blackjack 2. HTC Tilt or Fuze, etc

you won't be disappointed with windows based phones, esp with all the cracked medical programs/references you can load on there.

4. ChiDO

Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Can you get a blackberry at all or do those medical programs only work on the PDA devices?

5. alphaholic06

alphaholic06 Doctor, Who? Me?
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Epocrates works with a Blackberry.

6. jonb12997

jonb12997 I'm a doctor!!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    not the big pay for it epocrates... (which I absolutely love and would suggest it to anyone). I just checked and at least harriet lane you can get for blackberry from skyscape, not sure about the others.

7. jbp100

jbp100 Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am loving my iPhone on rotations. They just released the Skyscape suite about one month ago and all of their applications are available for it. Rumor is the full Epocrates will be available in early 2009.

8. Lynda

Lynda New Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i have the At&T tilt - any version of that phone from other phone companies seems to be very popular around my school. i highly recommend it or the iPhone because they have wifi which means you can jump on free wireless internet at your hospital or school without having to buy your phone companies data plan. I have a an incredibly low cell phone bill and can get on the internet/email pretty much all the time because i have wireless at home, school and at the hospital. i went for the tilt over the iPhone because it has windows media, there have been rumors for over a year that the iPhone was going to be made compatable with the medical programs but it always seems a month away.

9. Reff

MD/PhD Student
    just get the iphone and be done with it. I did most of the uWise questions on it, while waiting in the hallways during OBGYN

10. Trail Boss

Trail Boss Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I have a palm, and I don't use it. Tarcson (tarcsan?) whatever the hell it is called seems to work just fine, I never have time to look anything up no rounds anyway and otherwise I can just look it up on UpToDate, so why pack around one more thing you don't need?

11. nope80

nope80 Resident
    10+ Year Member

For those of us that aren't tech savy, can someone give me a brief overview about the options in terms of buying a pda and what adv/dis there are of each? Are there certain advantages of an iphone over others? Also, what programs do we have to install on them once we make a purchase for 3rd year?
    Lastly, how much do people typically pay upfront and per month?

Thanks!!

12. themudphud

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Get an iphone or blackberry. I have a treo, which I got because it has a stylus, but I like the software on blackberry better. My problem with iphone is that you can only use AT&T with it for at least the next few years. But the internet browsing capabilities on iphone are awesome. Once the exclusivity clause with AT&T ends (I think in another 2 or 3 years), I plan on buying an iphone.