This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

phmhd

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My school tells me that if I am injured during clinicals (like a needle stick, eye splash, etc.) that I should NOT go to the occupational health department at the hospital (because I'm not a true employee). Instead, they say I just have to rely on my regular health insurance. Is this common? Doesn't really seem fair and I even found an AAMC fact sheet I think I understand to say it shouldn't be like this. (Part 2, point 13) https://www.aamc.org/system/files/c/2/93444-stdthlthcareinsurance-data.pdf

Does anyone know of supplemental insurance policies/how to purchase one that would protect me from the expenses related to this type of care/follow up? I have regular insurance for routine stuff like seeing a doctor/getting prescriptions, but it's not really designed for situations like job-related accident/injuries and would get very expensive if I tried to use it for something like this.
 
My school tells me that if I am injured during clinicals (like a needle stick, eye splash, etc.) that I should NOT go to the occupational health department at the hospital (because I'm not a true employee). Instead, they say I just have to rely on my regular health insurance. Is this common? Doesn't really seem fair and I even found an AAMC fact sheet I think I understand to say it shouldn't be like this. (Part 2, point 13) https://www.aamc.org/system/files/c/2/93444-stdthlthcareinsurance-data.pdf

Does anyone know of supplemental insurance policies/how to purchase one that would protect me from the expenses related to this type of care/follow up? I have regular insurance for routine stuff like seeing a doctor/getting prescriptions, but it's not really designed for situations like job-related accident/injuries and would get very expensive if I tried to use it for something like this.
That seems incredibly sketchy on the part of the school, IMO.