This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phmhd

Reaction score
My school tells me that if I am injured during clinicals (like a needle stick, eye splash, etc.) that I should NOT go to the occupational health department at the hospital (because I'm not a true employee). Instead, they say I just have to rely on my regular health insurance. Is this common? Doesn't really seem fair and I even found an AAMC fact sheet I think I understand to say it shouldn't be like this. (Part 2, point 13) https://www.aamc.org/system/files/c/2/93444-stdthlthcareinsurance-data.pdf

Does anyone know of supplemental insurance policies/how to purchase one that would protect me from the expenses related to this type of care/follow up? I have regular insurance for routine stuff like seeing a doctor/getting prescriptions, but it's not really designed for situations like job-related accident/injuries and would get very expensive if I tried to use it for something like this.

Members don't see this ad.

My school tells me that if I am injured during clinicals (like a needle stick, eye splash, etc.) that I should NOT go to the occupational health department at the hospital (because I'm not a true employee). Instead, they say I just have to rely on my regular health insurance. Is this common? Doesn't really seem fair and I even found an AAMC fact sheet I think I understand to say it shouldn't be like this. (Part 2, point 13) https://www.aamc.org/system/files/c/2/93444-stdthlthcareinsurance-data.pdf

Does anyone know of supplemental insurance policies/how to purchase one that would protect me from the expenses related to this type of care/follow up? I have regular insurance for routine stuff like seeing a doctor/getting prescriptions, but it's not really designed for situations like job-related accident/injuries and would get very expensive if I tried to use it for something like this.
That seems incredibly sketchy on the part of the school, IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
This is F’ed up.

Do you have it in official communication from school?
Had it been sent school-wide?

If yes, the print it out, block your email address and sent it to AAMC.