PDA, palm, pocket PC, whatever...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdpharmd?

Turning lead into gold
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been druling over my pharmacist's toshiba pocket PC PDA lately. I have a sony clie, but the memory capacity is lacking in my opinion, and it's not easy to get to everything quickly. The toshiba has the ability to accept tons of expansion memory, hard drives, extra batteries, etc. It also comes with lots of internal memory. I've never really used a pocket PC device before, but this one really got my attention. He has the full Lexi suite of applications on it, including:

Lexi-Drugs PlatinumTM
Lexi-DrugsTM for Pediatrics
Griffith's 5-Minute Clinical Consult
Lexi-Natural ProductsTM
Lexi-Poisoning & ToxicologyTM
Lexi-Infectious DiseasesTM
Lexi-Diagnostic MedicineTM
Lexi-InteractTM
Lexi-DrugsTM for Dentistry
Lexi-DrugsTM for Nursing
Medical Abbreviations
Pharmacogenomics
LEXI-PALSTM (Patient Advisory Leaflets)
Stedman's Medical Dictionary - Concise

Since it's like 250-400 bucks for a pocket PC and 200/year for the lexi suite, I was wondering if anyone else uses this combination. I love Lexi books, but 200 bucks/year for their PDA software?

From what I've seen, everything is linked together. Looking up digoxin would bring up the drug info, then the tox would link to the toxicology collection, you could add it to interact, look up terms in the med dictionary, etc. Does anyone know of a better PDA? I like the toshiba, but a classmate has one of the HPs and it's pretty solid too.

Members don't see this ad.

Fiancee bought me the Lexi Suite to put on my T3 (also from her-spoiled or what?). No problems so far, but haven't really played with it too much-too busy w/ boards.

After rebates/discounts/APhA, etc I got the suite for something like $140. Look for a decent deal on a T3 at palmone.com. I'm constantly getting emails for open box specials and the like.

I had a Toshiba e320 (or something like that) and absolutely loved it. I stored music on it and stuff and used it as an MP3 player. Unfortunately my old roommate decided that she should pawn it so I only had it for a few months. I really enjoyed it while I had it though. I definately plan on getting one when I get out of pharm school. The hospital that I shadowed in, gave all clinical pharmacists a sony clie and most had their own as well.

~Pam

Members don't see this ad :)
Our school gives us Palms.. Then they require that we buy lexi.... We get a GREAT group discount. I actually use memory cards with my palm just because it keeps everything moving quickly. Lexi isn't bad, it is useful and well organized (into the different books). We also used epocrates. Now I have NEVER gotten this one to run appropriately on my palm. So to me it is a big pain but it is free.

I have also used micromedex for the PDA. I have found it very useful too but it is not broken down into as many books as lexi is.

I'd go for the PocketPC. Had a couple of Sony Clies but recently switched to a HP. It's a little more expensive but you can do much more with it. Much better games to while away time in a boring class too.

bbmuffin said:
I actually use memory cards with my palm just because it keeps everything moving quickly. Lexi isn't bad, it is useful and well organized (into the different books). We also used epocrates. Now I have NEVER gotten this one to run appropriately on my palm. So to me it is a big pain but it is free.
Epocrates usually won't run from a memory card, so if that's what you're trying, I've found the problem. Thanks for the advice. Imperial Frog: I have to agree 100%... The memory limits of palm based devices max out far before Pocket PC. Palms usually have 16 megs and most pocket pc's are 64-96 range right now. Running everything from an external palm card is not only terribly slow, but it kills the battery. :thumbup:

The only thing I'm disapointed about my HP is it didn't have wireless built-in. CompUSA was out of the model above it at Christmas and I settled on the one with only bluetooth. I can get a card, but it ruins the profile of the thing.

I got a Toshiba 355 two years ago and it revolutionized my practice. Last
December I upgraded to an HP iPAQ (the 400 I think) with the fat battery and
a 256 meg expansion memory. I have filled that sucker up! It would take a wagon to haul all the references I now have in my pocket.

Mobic Merc Manual fulltext
Medical Wizards PharmD Toolbox
Skyscape software:
Applied Therapeutics
Harriet Lane Pediatric Handbook
International Classification of Disease
Ident-a-drug
Stedman's full dictionary
Washington Manual
Lexi-Drug International
Griffith's five minute consult
Lexi Natural Products
Handbook of Homeopathy

In addition I use pocket EXCEL to keep home grown databases of problem
patients (narcotic abusers on my watch list), hard to remember group and over ride codes for third party insurance, and other useful bits of information

For rare quiet moments I have an entire library of books for the microsoft reader. When I was studying for the Washington jurisprudence exam I had the
entire law manual scanned into PDF format on my pocket PC. Not one single game in the lot, though I have thought about looking for software to hack the WEP key for Safeway's wireless network which transmits into my store across the street!

Your pocket PC -- don't leave home without it!