PDA placement??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kate88

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys... just started my surgery clerkship and I have a quick question. I'm scheduled to scrub in for a "PDA placement" tomorrow morning. I have no idea what that is, and haven't had any luck figuring it out. The only PDAs I know are ductus aterioses and palm pilots, neither of which I imagine would be placed in a patient! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

kate88 said:
Hi guys... just started my surgery clerkship and I have a quick question. I'm scheduled to scrub in for a "PDA placement" tomorrow morning. I have no idea what that is, and haven't had any luck figuring it out. The only PDAs I know are ductus aterioses and palm pilots, neither of which I imagine would be placed in a patient! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

If the patient is an infant, "PDA placement" may be referring to the placement of a coil to help close a PDA. Check out this website (scroll down to the diagram of the heart) for a description of the procedure:
https://www.tchin.org/resource_room/c_art_16a.htm