pda programs for peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justwondering

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone recommend some good peds pda programs (for pocket pc). most of the big ones focus more on adult medicine: diagnosaurus, 5minconsult, pocket medicine.

already have shots on my pda
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

can anyone recommend some good peds pda programs (for pocket pc). most of the big ones focus more on adult medicine: diagnosaurus, 5minconsult, pocket medicine.

already have shots on my pda
thanks!

There is a 5 minconsult for peds, but I don't use much now. It is very basic and less valuable as your knowledge base increases. I have kidometer, which is great becuase it has age adjusted values for kids (labs, vitals, even HCM stuff). I do not know whether it is available for the pocket PC. There is a height/weight/HCM/BMI program which is awesome -- I'll have to find it later and post a link -- I also don't know whether that is available for the PPC. If you do a lot of newborn, then you should go to bilitool.org and download the program. This is a software version of the AAP recomendations for phototherapy. Finally, I have the Harriett Lane on my PDA. 90% of the time I use it for medication dosing. Its quite a memory hog and not particularly easy to use. If you have an on line formulary at your institution and don't need the Pharm section of the HLH, I'd say that it isn't worth it.

Hope that helps

Ed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!!

Hey Can You Guys Send Me a Link to where I can get the herrient lane pda?

:)

Anyone else having a hard time finding software for Windowns Mobile? I have epocrates ... but almost everything else is Palm OS.

Last year I tried to outfit my pocket PC with freeware, and found that alot of stuff was only available for palm. I was able to get epocrates, merck medicus, diagnosaurus...i downloaded i vaccination one that never quite worked.

never tried harriet lane (is it free?) but would love to get my hands on that!

Harriet Lane is not free on the PDA, but does come with the book. You might get a free copy when you start residency. Regardless, the PDA version is much much worse than the book. You have to know where to look for what you need as it has no searchable index. Most of the tables, figures, and graphs in book do not translate well into PDA form making them frustrating to use. It is only useful for the pharmacopeia section, to be honest.

I personally always use my Harriet Lane on my PDA. It beats carrying around the book! And there is a searchable index, and pretty good graphics. If you want to pay, you can get Pocket Pediatrics, Peds Recall, and Washington Manual. There's even Neonatology Diagnosis & Treatment through Skyscape. Hope this helps!

If you do a google search you will find all sorts of information about pediatrics pda programs, alot are for Palm though. I think a growing consensus amoung at least students is that PDAs are very good for looking up drugs and getting info i.e. pharmacopaia like epocrates, but less good than a book due to limited viewing screen size. Expect all this to change in the next 5-7 as there will be produced light weight models with bigger screens like the various generation cybooks, which make it much easier to read articles from in bed, i.e. i installed a beta version adobe reader on an older cybook and can download alot of articles and read them on a touch-sensitive screen on a thing that weight 1/4 of average laptop. If you do get a pda, alot come with wifi, so you can at least read email, check news or emedicine during downtime on rotation if you can pick up hospital or other network! I can even post to studentdoctor.net from basically anywhere inside the hospital! The new iInk, I think that's what its called, technology will make reading text like HLH much easier, especially with nextGen bigger screens.

There is a 5 minconsult for peds, but I don't use much now. It is very basic and less valuable as your knowledge base increases. I have kidometer, which is great becuase it has age adjusted values for kids (labs, vitals, even HCM stuff). I do not know whether it is available for the pocket PC. There is a height/weight/HCM/BMI program which is awesome -- I'll have to find it later and post a link -- I also don't know whether that is available for the PPC. If you do a lot of newborn, then you should go to bilitool.org and download the program. This is a software version of the AAP recomendations for phototherapy. Finally, I have the Harriett Lane on my PDA. 90% of the time I use it for medication dosing. Its quite a memory hog and not particularly easy to use. If you have an on line formulary at your institution and don't need the Pharm section of the HLH, I'd say that it isn't worth it.

Hope that helps

Ed.

thanks ed

Hello pediatricians.

Anybody have any new recommendations for palm pediatric programs?