PDA Question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I Lovely Gator

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering in investing in a PDA for my 3rd year of pharmacy school~ and for the rest of my career. Just curious how often one really uses their PDA in school or on rotations. Which one on the market would you reccommend: base on durability/easy to use/price. Thanks! :oops:

P.S. Potential downside~ does professors/preceptors/traditional pharmacists look down on you for depending on your PDA as an "on the spot" guide? :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

At my school having a quick drug reference was required at all times on rotation. If you dont have a PDA loaded with Epocrates, LexiComp, etc you would HAVE to carry Drug Info Handbook on rounds, etc.

Also, you will learn when your preceptor wants/expects you to answer something from the top of your head or they want you to look it up (once you get to know them). For example they might ask you something bc they need to know the answer NOT bc they are testing you (what strengths does this drug come in?)

I have a Palm Tx and it rocks but I think anyone will do. Just watch out for the programs -- they can get expensive! Try to get a group of students together so you can get it at a student discounted rate.

I am considering in investing in a PDA for my 3rd year of pharmacy school~ and for the rest of my career. Just curious how often one really uses their PDA in school or on rotations. Which one on the market would you reccommend: base on durability/easy to use/price. Thanks! :oops:

P.S. Potential downside~ does professors/preceptors/traditional pharmacists look down on you for depending on your PDA as an "on the spot" guide? :thumbdown:

At UF you will need one for year 3 and for rotations, too. I use a Palm Tungsten C that is several years old. It still works great. All of Lexi-Complete runs without any additional memory.