Peak Lapel Suit for interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between two suits for an interview and I really like this one but it has peak lapels and I am wondering if anyone thinks that is too "flashy"? It is still very conservative looking and definitely not a dinner jacket.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't do it. Too tuxedo.
Notch (step) for sure.

Thank you for the advice, BUT let's say it doesn't look anything like a tuxedo and isn't over the top, is it still out of the question?

It will be my first suit and I feel like I should pick the one that looks the best on me while also still being conservative and fitting the occasion. I didn't even notice the lapel (nor know what a lapel is) until the guy mentioned it. I more like it because of the shape. I guess I just want to know if I am not dressed pretentiously or psychotically, would it be alright to look slightly unique? Kind of like how people are wearing bow ties now, although I wouldn't do that.

Thank you for the advice, BUT let's say it doesn't look anything like a tuxedo and isn't over the top, is it still out of the question?

It will be my first suit and I feel like I should pick the one that looks the best on me while also still being conservative and fitting the occasion. I didn't even notice the lapel (nor know what a lapel is) until the guy mentioned it. I more like it because of the shape. I guess I just want to know if I am not dressed pretentiously or psychotically, would it be alright to look slightly unique? Kind of like how people are wearing bow ties now, although I wouldn't do that.
You don't want your medical school interview suit to be unique. It reads high maintenance.
This is my best advice. Well qualified applicants with slightly "off" dress get admitted, but there is no reason to raise subliminal questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you even have to ask yourself if it is going to be conservative enough, don't do it.

Reactions: 1 users