Peculiar/Disadvantaged Background, 3.9 GPA, 29 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jay11jayjay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am currently a biomedical engineering student at a top school (GPA 3.9). I transferred to the university after 2 years of community college - where I received an associate's degree in engineering (GPA 4.0). Some prereqs were taken at the community college while other prereqs and many engineering classes were taken at the university. For most of my life, I have lived in the US as an undocumented immigrant because my parents brought me to this country as a child to flee war. When I entered college, I was not able to receive financial aid and was not able to attend any university. Instead, I attended community college for 2 years, received a national award that covers full tuition, and I miraculously was able to fix my immigration status and become a permanent resident. My previous undocumented status and my parent's very low income level played a major role in my upbringing and I plan on conveying that to the adcomms. Thus, I'm probably going to label myself as "disadvantaged."

My MCAT score is 10PS, 9VR, 10BS. I plan on taking the MCAT again in mid-June and submit my app right after the exam.

Some ECs:
-Pre-mstp summer 2014 research program at top university (this will take place after I submit my app)
-Emergency department patient research - published 3rd author (250 hours)
-1 year research in immunology lab (300 hours) - strong LOR
-Internship with biomedical engineering company that develops surgical equipment - (3 month)
-Board member of human rights student organization (1 year) - strong LOR
-Worked with non-profit after school program for children (1 year) - strong LOR
-Recipient of national scholarship covering all undergrad tuition

My aim is to gain admission at an MD school in the US. I plan on applying to all the Michigan schools and many, many other schools across the US.

What do you guys think my chances are? Also, should I even apply to private schools outside of my state? Or perhaps stick to in-state schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Couple things about the MCAT - you don't need to wait to submit your application until after you retake. You should apply as EARLY as possible and just indicate that you have another test score coming. That way, you can go ahead and put yourself in the queue for review and not subvert yourself to unnecessary delays.

Secondly, your MCAT isn't all that bad, unless you'd only be satisfied with a top tier medical school. At a 3.9 GPA and a 29 MCAT, I'd say you have a pretty decent chance at acceptance to an in state school. If you do want to retake it, be sure that you're confident you can improve by at least three points. I'd be shooting for at least a 32 on all your practice tests.

As for eventual schools, I would say that private schools outside your state generally much more accepting of OOS applicants that public schools would be. A general principle to follow is that you can apply to public schools in your state of residence (in this case, Michigan), and also any other public schools to which you have very strong ties. For example, if you live in Michigan now but grew up in OH, then that may be considered a 'tie' to that state. Other than that, I would suggest looking at private schools that are friendly to OOS applicants.

Couple things about the MCAT - you don't need to wait to submit your application until after you retake. You should apply as EARLY as possible and just indicate that you have another test score coming. That way, you can go ahead and put yourself in the queue for review and not subvert yourself to unnecessary delays.

Secondly, your MCAT isn't all that bad, unless you'd only be satisfied with a top tier medical school. At a 3.9 GPA and a 29 MCAT, I'd say you have a pretty decent chance at acceptance to an in state school. If you do want to retake it, be sure that you're confident you can improve by at least three points. I'd be shooting for at least a 32 on all your practice tests.

As for eventual schools, I would say that private schools outside your state generally much more accepting of OOS applicants that public schools would be. A general principle to follow is that you can apply to public schools in your state of residence (in this case, Michigan), and also any other public schools to which you have very strong ties. For example, if you live in Michigan now but grew up in OH, then that may be considered a 'tie' to that state. Other than that, I would suggest looking at private schools that are friendly to OOS applicants.

Thanks tarheel1408! I found your reply to be very helpful. Regarding the application submission, I was concerned about submitting on the first day in June because I didn't want the schools to look at my application before my new mcat score comes out. I'm not sure if submitting 2 weeks before my mcat test day will be a good idea. I figured I would take the mcat and submit my application the next day so that my app will be verified as my score comes out. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to strongly advise you to submit your application ASAP. The way AMCAS works is they'll take the information you provide about your classes and make sure that it matches what they see on your transcript(s) before sending it off to schools. If you submit on the very first possible day it could still take up to a week for you to be verified. If you submit near the end of June then it could take up to a month, or even longer. You absolutely want to have your application complete as soon as possible, because that will lead to more interviews. If you indicate on your application that you have another MCAT score coming, then schools won't even look at your app until that second score comes in. However, if you've already submitted, then you're a few weeks further along in the process than you otherwise would have been. A plus side is that even if schools don't look at your application, the ones that don't screen applicants before sending a secondary application will send you their app, so you can go ahead and get started on writing those essays.

As a hypothetical, let's say you take the MCAT and blow it out of the water. You take it and don't just get a score 1 or 2 points better, let's say you get a 40 and now you're competitive for just about any school in the country. Even if you've already submitted your application, you can still go back and add more schools, and you don't have to go through the verification process again, or go to the back of the queue.

Reactions: 1 user
Great advice above.

For OOS schools, get the MSAR and apply to schools that have an MCAT 10% percentile of 29 or below.

You can also throw in a few reaches (dream schools with higher MCAT averages).