Pedi Neuro and LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GeneralSnozzie

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am applying to pedi neuro (and hence Pedi on ERAS) and I may have a problem on my hands. I have 3 fabulous letters - 2 from pediatric neurologists (who in my school are in the department of pediatrics, not neurology) and 1 from a general pediatrician who I worked with a long time. I also have the obligatory pedi chair letter. Is that OK for the general pedi programs, or do I need another letter? Unfortunately in my pedi rotations during 3rd year that one pediatrician was the only person I worked with more than 1 or 2 days (I had an outpatient month where the attending switched from day to day), and I won't have a chance to do more pedi until much later in the year. Will it look bad that I have 2 letters from pedi neuro and only one from a general pediatrician (besides the pedi chair)?
 
Short answer: no. You are completely fine. LORs should be from people who know you best, no matter which field. If they ask during your interviews, simply let them know what you stated below, you didn't work with the same attending and didn't know them enough to ask for a letter.

Frankly, you likely will not even be asked. 🙂

Good luck