Pediatric Anesthesia fellowship applications for 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it best to wait for your ITE CA-2 score and then submit an application or is that too late for most places?
I think it depends on your previous scores. My CA2 scores were significantly better than CA1. I believe my CA2 score helped to match within my top 3.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone gone to Wash U in STL? What is that program like?

I trained there, residency not Peds fellowship, I almost did the fellowship but bailed cause I just went into PP. You can't go wrong there great faculty good cases.

Is it best to wait for your ITE CA-2 score and then submit an application or is that too late for most places?
Personally, I went ahead and submitted my application prior to my CA-2 ITE scores and then sent updates once the scores went out. I don't think sending the app without the scores hurt me and having the application in early may have helped me get my foot in the door at a few places.

Members don't see this ad :)
I ended up not applying to Peds, but now I am regretting it. I don't have the greatest ITE scores but would like to try to get a spot. How hard is it to find a place outside of the match? Do places like Boston Children's still have rolling acceptances or has that all changed? And how heavily do they weigh ITE scores??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I ended up not applying to Peds, but now I am regretting it. I don't have the greatest ITE scores but would like to try to get a spot. How hard is it to find a place outside of the match? Do places like Boston Children's still have rolling acceptances or has that all changed? And how heavily do they weigh ITE scores??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
It can't hurt to call around. The out of match spots are usually reserved for superstars with "you must train this applicant and then we want them back" kind of LORs. At least the ones I'm familiar with. You can also just get an AMC job, pass the written boards, and apply then.
The way bad ITE scores hurt is that if the fellowship is worried you won't pass the boards they don't want anything to do with you. If you can't get a job after the fellowship it becomes "our" problem and then we all look bad. You don't have that problem when you don't accept candidates with <50th percentile scores.

--
Il Destriero

UAMS is a great program. Two years ago they did more heart transplants than any other center. Acidemics are pretty strong. Attendings are good. The Chair, Dr. Martin is an amazing man as well as the program director, Dr. Aunspaugh. Acute pain is good not gonna have the breadth of knowledge as seatle however.
Other than the "top 5"

Laurie childrens, cinicinati, emory, texas childrens, pittsburg, are all strong programs that I personally know about.

Well Dr. Martin was made to leave the program & since then the whole program is in a self destruction mode. There is no accademic activity going on. It is very biased towards ethenic groups and I would not consider Arkansas Children's Hospital for fellowship or job... If I were you

I felt the interview season went well. I got invitations for interviews to all but one program to which I applied (still curious about the one I didn't get, oh well). I really liked each program, but I like certain parts of some programs more than others. That's bound to be the case, but it makes this rank list all that much more difficult to make. So I'm basing my rank list off location (since I feel I'll get more than adequate training at each place at which I interviewed) -- as in both how desirable is that area and proximity to home (gotta get those kids closer to their grandparents). I know it's only 1 year, and I could live anywhere for a year, but I'm also thinking wherever I end up for fellowship, I'll be likely to stay in that area afterward.

With that being said: here's my (very subjective) breakdown of the programs.

Vanderbilt (4 residents) I had heard some not-so-desirable things about their program before I interviewed. Someone (a recent graduate of my program, current Peds fellow elsewhere) actually suggested to me not to waste an interview there. The complaints were basically service over education type complaints, treated just like a resident, etc. I don't mind working hard, but I have to say I look forward to having a little easier lifestyle than a resident. The program addressed those concerns head on (I brought it up in a couple interviews, they brought it up in others). They have since had a new fellowship director who really seems to have taken those complaints to heart. I still feel they work harder than the "average" program, but that's ok. I was only in Nashville for a short time, but could see myself staying there. Nice financial perks, too (salary ~$60k, up to $3k moving expense reimbursement, ~$2300 CME money, moonlighting opportunities).

Little Rock (4 residents) Probably a lesser known program nation-wide, but seems to be well-respected in the South, as far as Peds anesthesia (or Peds anything) goes. Little Rock the city was better than I thought with lots of outdoors stuff (waterways, camping, etc.) close by. Good heart numbers for a program that size. Attendings do some of their own cases - which means there are more cases for the fellow to choose from (fellow first choice, residents next, CRNAs and solo attendings next). Closest to home (for me). But probably less likely to stay in that area after I'm done. Moonlighting opportunities.

UAB (1 resident) UAB is a well known name in the medical world (at least in the South), but this current year is their first year of an accredited fellowship, which worries me a little. I feel like I would still get good clinical training, but most questions about didactics (and many other questions in the interview) were answered with "well, it's a work in progress, we may change it up later." It's a private group at a children's hospital which is a little different than most places, so they way they do things is a little different -- more focus on $$$ than other academic places (I'm not saying that's a bad thing). So a larger portion of the fellowship is designed for fellows to be supervising CRNAs than I saw at other places.

Texas Children's (6 residents) Probably the best name and ?best training of all the places I interviewed. I can't say I'm all that excited about living in Houston. Yes, I know, there's plenty of stuff to do, but 3 kids (and currently no moonlighting opportunities) make it less desirable for me. I was really impressed with the program itself, and would love to have that name on my resume, though.

Duke (1 resident) Again, would love that name on my resume, great research opportunities and support. Good BBQ. But a little too far from home. Moonlighting opportunities.

Texas Children's was the only place that did not have any current moonlighting opportunities (as I mentioned above), but none of the fellows I asked at any of the places allowed actually did moonlight. So I don't know how much the programs encourage/discourage fellows from doing it if the opportunity exists, or if the fellows just weren't interested / too busy. The fellows at TCH did say the program is trying to arrange something, but not to count on it.

I would take Arkansas (Little Rock) off the list... That place is in a death spiral.... The newly hired chief was fired a few months ago.... he was a total waste of time