1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Pediatric Anesthesia Fellowship

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by Trajan, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Trajan

Trajan Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm an MS III who was forced to do a week of pediatric anesthesia during my pediatrics clerkship. Much to my surprise, I fell in love with the field. In fact, nothing else this year has come close to that experience.

I have two questions:
    1) How competitive is it to get a peds anesthesia fellowship?
    2) How is the job market? Specifically, are pediatric anesthesiologists only employed at large tertiary care centers?

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ahh...The Life

Ahh...The Life Membership Revoked
    Removed

Peds anything scares the heck out of me. I think fellowships are easy enough to get with enough effort. Many qualified people pass on fellowship, because to take the fellowship would cost them $200K-$350K for lost income at a time when that bump means the most.

I know of some Hospitals where incidents have taken place that require Peds Fellowships for employment. Seems this trend will likely continue and not reverse.

Problems with getting these fellowships is there are small numbers and few top programs. So, it will not likely be easy.

4. UTSouthwestern

UTSouthwestern 1K Member
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

I would argue that the fellowship is not too terribly difficult to get. Just don't have any glaring negatives on your CV during your anesthesiology residency and you should be set. If you have a pedi internship, you will probably be even more attractive to the fellowship programs, but that would probably be a track you should only do if you are absolutely 100% sure that you will be doing a pedi anesthesiology fellowship, as it puts you at a bit of a disadvantage in residency when seeing the adult patients.

The job market is still good for pedi anesthesiologists. I have a pretty extensive reply on another post about this topic if you do a search.