Pediatric Child Psych Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Shadowfeet23

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rad
If in your peds residency you fell in love with child psych there is now a pathway in which you do a 4yr child psych fellowship after peds training (and get boarded only in child psych vs. adult and child). Admittedly a longer time frame than the 5yr triple board, but more flexible in exploring the subspecialties of peds.

Hey -- I'm considering pediatrics and also child psychiatry, thus also Triple Board ... but looking at all the options first. Thought that those of you in the Peds world might be able to help me out with a question. I'm looking for information about the above mentioned pediatric "child pscyhiatry" fellowship that either IS currently an option, or will be an option in the future, however I cannot find any information on it. Has anyone heard about this, or can anyone point me in the direction of some program information or an applicable thread? Also, any thoughts on it being 4 years instead of 3? Thank you!
 
There's an option to search AMA's FREIDA for Child & Adolescent Psych (P)... but it pulls up 122 programs in all states... so if it's new it caught on fast!

Not sure if that's what you were looking for? It appears to be a 2 yr fellowship.
 
The initiative is the Post Pediatric Portal Project. If you google it, you will find a couple of links for it. I know Georgia and Case Western have programs for it.

It is actually only 36 months of training post residency, not 4 years as J-rad initially thought. This makes it in-line with other fellowships from pediatrics.

http://www.case.edu/med/psychiatry/residency/fellow-postped.htm

The option that pmpkn is referring to is the traditional Child Psych fellowship that is only accessible after residency completion in Psychiatry
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
FYI you can become a child psychiatrist through a psychiatry residency in 5 years total now. Psych is usually 4 years with a 2 year child fellowship, but if you attend a psych program with a child fellowship, you can use your 4th year electives and finish the 1st year of the child psych fellowship concurrently. Just thought I would add that to the mix.

Otherwise, where can you find the fellowships through pediatrics? The ones I see on Freida are all fellowships through psychiatry.
 
I have heard of the 5 year child psych program at Integrated Programs (see the link here: http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/medica...ts/medical_students/child_psychiatry_training), but do you mean that you could work with any program that has a child psych fellowship to fit it into 5 years instead of 6?

Regarding ways into child psych, there seem to be two routes that specifically include peds training: Triple Board (www.tripleboard.org and see link through SDN combined residencies) and this new Post Pediatric Portal Project that CrazyPeds talks about - not yet listed on Frieda, etc. Then there would be routes such as Developmental and Behavioral Peds, Child Abuse fellowship, etc.

I am pretty excited about this Post Peds Portal Project. Seems like it would offer a ton of options for post-residency work and may not be quite as demanding as the Triple Board in only 5 years(?). Has anyone heard anything about it? Or any thoughts about the various avenues to pursue both peds and child psych?
 
I am pretty excited about this Post Peds Portal Project. Seems like it would offer a ton of options for post-residency work and may not be quite as demanding as the Triple Board in only 5 years(?). Has anyone heard anything about it? Or any thoughts about the various avenues to pursue both peds and child psych?

I looked into this a bit last year. From what I remember, this is an experimental program. It was designed because of the Child Psychiatrist shortage, and they were hoping this route might attract more people to the field. I think they initially wanted 10-12 pilot sites, but only ended up with 7 or 8. Anyway, I hope it is successful, but it might not be around by the time you graduate residency, so I wouldn't consider it as one of your options right now (however, it has been a year since I looked into it; perhaps they have more sites up and running).

Right now your options are (I think):
1) Going for the triple board (even there, the number of programs you can apply to is very limited)
2) Psych residency
a. A psych residency program that offers the combined Child Psych pathway to shave a year off of training, then completing a Peds residency
b. Traditional psych residency program and applying to a child psych fellowship, then completing a Peds residency
3) Peds residency followed by Pysch and Child Psych as outlined above.

I know some people who applied to the Triple Board programs with Peds as back-up, while others used Psych as their back-up.

Will you have any fourth year rotations that will allow you to explore the different pathways any further?
 
Here is a link to the AACAP site about development/recruitment, as well as meeting minutes that mention the project. Apparently there are 2 currently approved sites nationally (Case Western, and Creighton University). There is funding to approve 10 sites nationally, 4 additional sites have applied for accreditation for July 2009.

http://www.aacap.org/galleries/treasurersreports/PEDRpt--DEC07.pdf (see pages 4-5)

http://www.aacap.org/galleries/AboutUs/Workforce_Development_and_Recruitment.pdf

This is not currently listed through freida, or even on the AACAP web site (??)

http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/medica...d_and_adolescent_psychiatry_training_programs

This link has the integrated training programs and regular programs available to psychiatry residents, in addition to the accredited triple board list.

And to those of you who know my interests lie in critical care and cardiology and wonder how I know all this info, I have my sources 🙂
 
Thanks for all the posts. I really appreciate the help and sorry for the very late reply! Did want to let you all know that I found out that psych / child psych can be cut down to 5 years at any program that has a child psych fellowship, contrary to what I thought but what TexasPhysician did mention. Not exactly peds related but wanted to give the most complete information to anyone else who checks out this thread!
 
Thanks for all the posts. I really appreciate the help and sorry for the very late reply! Did want to let you all know that I found out that psych / child psych can be cut down to 5 years at any program that has a child psych fellowship, contrary to what I thought but what TexasPhysician did mention. Not exactly peds related but wanted to give the most complete information to anyone else who checks out this thread!

Your residency program doesn't actually have to have a child fellowship, nor do you have to do the child fellowship at the institution that you do your psychiatry residency at. If you are not in a fast track program (ie, a combined 5 year program that is designed to be at one institution), then you apply for the child psych match as a third year resident and then match and go onto fellowship without completing your fourth year. The only catch is that you have to have certain requirements fulfilled to do this. But you can do it from anywhere. Some programs even plan on having a certain number of third years bail out and not complete fourth year; I could be wrong, but I don't think that Child is the only psych specialty in which you can skip fourth year.