Pediatric EM, fellowship and more

Started by pedstar09
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pedstar09

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I have been trying to find info on Peds ED on here and Google. I understand that I will find more info once I start residency. I also recognize that this might be a bit too early to even think about this.

I am thinking of doing ED fellowship after peds residency (I know, I know...3 years down the road). While looking for info on programs on FREIDA, I found 2 different categories for Peds ED- EM and Peds. Are these specific only? Can I apply to a program which is EM if the program accepts that they will allow for a 3 year training instead of 2?

Any info on Peds ED fellowship and careers would be greatly appreciated if there are any current fellows/attendings on this forum!

Thanks!
 
It depends on what you want to do. If you go EM-->peds fellowship, you will be seeing adults during your first three years, so you have to be okay with that. The advantages are that you will get a lot of procedures and you will be quite marketable. The American Board of Pediatrics won't let you sit for the peds EM boards however, which may or may not affect your ability to get a job at a big academic pediatric center.

Going peds-->peds EM is six years instead of five. You will not see adults (though you'll have a couple months of adult rotations during fellowship), and you'll pretty much be limited to working in a children's hospital of some sort. There are a few private practice groups, but most are academic or at least teaching hospitals. This route gives you a lot of general pediatric knowledge, which is very useful in peds EM, but it also means you'll be doing well child checks in clinic during residency.

So the questions you need to ask yourself include 1) do I want to be a pediatrician? 2) do I want to take care of adults at all? and 3) what kind of job do I see myself doing when all of my training is done?
 
I should have prefaced this a lot better. I have already matched in a Peds program, sorry about the confusion.
Thanks for your response @Stitch
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You cannot do a 2 year fellowship after peds. All peds fellowships are 3 years. And according to my ED attendings--you should not go to a program that caters to EM people, because they have a completely different background and thus need different training to specialize in peds. You will already know how to take care of children--you will have to learn the critical care stuffs.
 
Ok, thank you!!

On a similar note, how may I get involved in the field of Peds EM more once I start residency? I was thinking membership in professional orgs, attending conferences, working with a mentor for research, etc.
I may not be doing EM rotation until later in the year (around March or so).
Any other advise from current fellows/attendings?
Thanks so much!