Pediatric Experience

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by Dr. Gangrene, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Dr. Gangrene

Dr. Gangrene AZPOD 2011
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Are any residency programs known for their pediatrics? What are some of the programs that offer advanced training in this area (not necessarily as a focus, but offer more than the average program)?
    Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dpmgrad

dpmgrad Senior Member
    Podiatrist 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There is no residency program that is really known for Pediatrics. There are some residency programs where the residents do get to go on missionary trips to do Foot and Ankle Surgery on Kids (mainly clubfoot). The two big missionary programs are the Baja Project and the Yucantan Project. Several of the residency programs in the Southern California have their residents rotate through Baja Project. I believe that Botsford General also send their residents to Baja Project. As for the Yucantan Project, one or two programs in Florida send their residents there. There are a few residency program where they are expose to more pediatrics than other residency programs. Example of this would be the Temple University Hospital PM&S-36 Program. The residents rotate through Temple Children's Hospital clinics and do surgery there with various attendings. I know that the residents at Mt. Sinai Medical Center in Queens, NY were involved with clubfoot surgery using external fixation. Perhaps, someone in the NY area can comment on this program. I know that some of the residents at Morristown Memorial Hospital scrub in with a Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon to do various foot and ankle deformity corrective surgery.

I would recommend you to check out some of the residency programs that you are interested in and see if they are exposed to any Podopediatric surgery. I hope that this helps.

4. krabmas

krabmas Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Some programs send the residents to work with Dr. Ponsetti for correcting club foot - North Colorado does and so do some others.

UMDNJ - you see lots of pediatric trauma. ankle fractures, sprains...

There is a fellowship at the Rubin Center for Orthopedics at Sinai Hospital in B-more MD. This is where Dror Paley MD and Bradley Lamm DPM work. They see lots of kids and may take a pod for the fellowship, they have in the past.

5. dpmgrad

dpmgrad Senior Member
    Podiatrist 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This Limb Deformity fellowship is a great opportunity to see a lot of the lower extremity deformities in the Pediatric population. Besides doing the fellowship, residents in some of the residency program also do rotation with Dror Paley. West Penn residents (Brad Lamm is an alum of this program) and Community Medical Center residents (in Scranton, PA) do a 3 month rotation down at the Rubin Center for Orthopedics at Sinai Hospital with Dror Paley and Brad Lamm. Residents from Crozer Springfield Medical Center also do an 1 month rotation down there as well.

6. jonwill

jonwill Podiatrist
    Podiatrist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Detroit Medical Center has 4 months of pediatric ortho rotations where residents do most everything.

7. Dr. Gangrene

Dr. Gangrene AZPOD 2011
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    :thumbup: Thanks for the replies.

8. calcaneus

2+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    Maybe we're talking about different people, but I thought Dr. Ponseti is retiring. Is this who you're talking about: Ignacio Ponseti, MD? It's mentioned in the article below that he's retiring and no one currently is in line to fill his space.

http://download.journals.elsevierhea...ics&mis=.pd f

9. krabmas

krabmas Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I have read that too. I do not know when he is retiring.

This is a good reason to not pick a program for one aspect. Things change in programs. so you must like the entire package.

10. Feli

Feli ACFAS Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I mentioned it in the sports med thread (scroll down this page a bit) since that's the primary focus of the fellowship, but Dr. Losito's 1yr fellowship in Miami has peds as a pretty big focus too. The fellowship is pretty balanced from the link (sports/peds/sx), but Losito is the only DPM on staff at Miami Children's Hospital and almost half his practice is sports and pediatric podiatry since that's what he's known for. I'd imagine you'd get quite a number of peds biomechanics, sx, etc cases as his fellow for a year.

His current fellow (Dr. VanPelt from Temple and ) just co-authored a nice long article on athletic ankle fx current treatments and classifications. It was the lead story in Podiatry Today (I wanna say it was the Jan or Feb 07 issue, but I could be wrong... the recent one with a snowboarder on the cover). Here it is... much better and more visual in the actual mag, though:
    http://www.podiatrytoday.com/article/6565

11. krabmas

krabmas Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]

I'm sure you know this but...

Podaitry Today is a magazine and not a peer reviewed Journal. Just be careful how you quote the info in podiatry today when on externships.

12. Feli

Feli ACFAS Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I understand that, but thank you. I like most of the stuff in the magazines, but I totally agree with what you say. I will be careful to only answer externship questions with or quote facts from legit journals or respected textbooks.

Things like Lauge-Hansen and Salter-Harris don't really change whether I read them in a mag or a journal, though. I think reading clinically oriented articles helps me apply and reinforce my anatomy, pharm, radiology, etc knowledge sometimes. Plus, since my knowledge base is still growing, I'm a mesmerized by snazzy color clinical pics in the mags more than all black and white journals :D

13. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest
    10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    He is considering retirement, but the last I've heard he is still there. He takes clinic, has nap times, and still teaches.

14. krabmas

krabmas Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I agree. I read pod today regularly especially since it is free and in school. it makes for great classroom reading.:thumbup:

15. calcaneus

2+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    Nap time is great! It says he's 92, that's crazy. That will be sad when he leaves, he sounds like an amazing doctor.

16. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest
    10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    I have never met him but the residents at Broadlawns work with them. The 3rd year resident said he is extremely nice and very caring. His patients love him.