Pediatric Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PedsGIman

Reaction score
Since most of the pediatric fellowships are designed to have around 2 years of research and 1 year of clinical experience, does anyone know if a person wants to do double fellowships eg pediatric intensive care after completing pediatric gastroenterology, would the person be required to complete both fellowships individually for a total of 6 years (3 each) or would doing one fellowship help in reducing the time for the second fellowship. Thank you in advance for your response.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends. In general, you stand the best shot at reducing your time if you plan it out from the start to do combined fellowship at the same location. That way you can do ~two clinical years and do a research project that counts for both, and then you're done in 4 years (maybe 4 and change).

If you do a first fellowship and then decide you want to go back and do a second fellowship, you'll have a much harder time having your prior training count.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you GoSpursGo for the reply. Can you please elaborate upon the approach when you say " plan it out from the start". Do you mean talking to the program about it once we match and start our fellowship in one speciality or talking to them when applying for fellowships? There are some limited combine programs being offered some limited institutions but not all combinations are offered and I believe revealing such intention would be a little risky while during fellowship interviews, No?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you GoSpursGo for the reply. Can you please elaborate upon the approach when you say " plan it out from the start". Do you mean talking to the program about it once we match and start our fellowship in one speciality or talking to them when applying for fellowships? There are some limited combine programs being offered some limited institutions but not all combinations are offered and I believe revealing such intention would be a little risky while during fellowship interviews, No?
Again, it just depends. When I started my current fellowship, as I discussed potential ideas for research projects with my PD we discussed me possibly reaching out to another PD to see if I could "add" another fellowship and work on a project which would have fulfilled research requirements for both. I wound up not doing that, but it seems like that is an option at some institutions.

In contrast, a fellow a few years below planned to get double-boarded even during the interview process, so when he matched it was known from the start that he would be doing both programs. Yes, it could be "risky" to tie yourself to wanting two fellowships and needing to get accepted by two programs, but some programs will find that enticing that you actually have some idea of what you want to work on from a research perspective.

Again, it just depends. When I started my current fellowship, as I discussed potential ideas for research projects with my PD we discussed me possibly reaching out to another PD to see if I could "add" another fellowship and work on a project which would have fulfilled research requirements for both. I wound up not doing that, but it seems like that is an option at some institutions.

In contrast, a fellow a few years below planned to get double-boarded even during the interview process, so when he matched it was known from the start that he would be doing both programs. Yes, it could be "risky" to tie yourself to wanting two fellowships and needing to get accepted by two programs, but some programs will find that enticing that you actually have some idea of what you want to work on from a research perspective.
Thank you for the valuable insight GoSpursGo. I am already done with my peds GI interviews and I didn't reveal the intention during my interviews as I wasn't sure myself. Maybe I will have to find my way, incase I want to do two fellowship, by combining my research work in the two disciplines and takingmy program into confidence during my fellowship.

There are a couple built in pathways which are PICU/pulm in 5 years, PICU/cards in 5 years, and PICU/CVICU in 4 years. And some programs will allow 2 years in the right circumstances. There is a PICU fellow in my program that did cardiology at a different program already so is completing 2 years of PICU. I am not aware of other dual fellowships that will shave off a year.

The year shaved off is because they don't have to do another scholarly activity project. I have seen a handful of random dual fellowship trained people like ED/ID, PICU/Cards, NICU/Cards and PICU/ID. The clinical training for most fellowships is 13 to 18 months and the rest scholarly activity. So it's pretty typical for dual fellowship training to not be two complete 3 year fellowships since you've already satisfied the scholarly activity requirement in the first fellowship.

As mentioned, the biggest hurdle is finding a fellowship willing to take only a 2 year fellow for various reasons, but mainly because 1) it screws up the recruitment schedule for years and 2) you get nothing out of that fellow except a warm body, which isn't as satisfying.

Reactions: 1 users