Pediatric Fellowships???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nidhi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone, I am second year pediatric resident and have to apply for a fellowship this year. I had decided on Neonatology before, but now, after getting the reviews from my hospital's recent graduates about the busy schedule... i am plaaning to drop the idea. Now, i have to decide on some other fellowship. and i dont understand, whats the best way to decide on it, as we are not exposed to all the sub specialties within a single year???!!!
any response shall be appreciated.
thanks

:)

Members don't see this ad.

I am confused. You dropped neonatology because you found out it was busy? You mean the fellowship, or the field itself?

Also, why do you feel that you have to apply for a fellowship this year? Plenty of people who do not know what they want to do, and even many people who do know what they want to do, take time to do something else between residency and fellowship.

hello everyone, I am second year pediatric resident and have to apply for a fellowship this year. I had decided on Neonatology before, but now, after getting the reviews from my hospital's recent graduates about the busy schedule... i am plaaning to drop the idea. Now, i have to decide on some other fellowship. and i dont understand, whats the best way to decide on it, as we are not exposed to all the sub specialties within a single year???!!!
any response shall be appreciated.
thanks

If you don't know at this point, it may be advisable to take a year out...consider a chief year or maybe a year as a hospitalist. As for specialty, it all really depends on what you're looking for. If you want good hours, consider EM. Allergy/Immunology is another option. Personally, I wouldn't want to go into a specialty just because it's easier and less "busy."

Members don't see this ad :)
I am confused. You dropped neonatology because you found out it was busy? You mean the fellowship, or the field itself?

Also, why do you feel that you have to apply for a fellowship this year? Plenty of people who do not know what they want to do, and even many people who do know what they want to do, take time to do something else between residency and fellowship.
Hey Scholes, Thanks for the quick reply!
I am an International Medical Graduate, on an H1 visa. Its because of the visa issues,that i need to continue doing something. At present my H1 is for only 3 yrs that include only the residency years. If i take a break, i either have to extend my H1 visa, by an year or so, or go for the PMD job for 3-4 yrs and then, apply for the fellowship.

Its only cos i wanted to apply this year, and just to be sure i am not missing on anything before taking the decision of applying next yr, i am trying to talk to as many no of ppl as possible.

do you also know of the fellowships that need only one year for processing the application? i think neurology is one of them.

If you don't know at this point, it may be advisable to take a year out...consider a chief year or maybe a year as a hospitalist. As for specialty, it all really depends on what you're looking for. If you want good hours, consider EM. Allergy/Immunology is another option. Personally, I wouldn't want to go into a specialty just because it's easier and less "busy."
Hey Zeke,
thanks for replying!

like i said, I am an IMG, on H1 visa... so, there are certain visa constraints for me. I am thinking for Endo or GI. But again, i am not sure if thats what i want. Also, i like GI better than Endo, but its kinda on the tougher side to get!
all my research papers are in Neonatology, do you think that will have no importance if i apply for GI?

Hey Zeke,
thanks for replying!

like i said, I am an IMG, on H1 visa... so, there are certain visa constraints for me. I am thinking for Endo or GI. But again, i am not sure if thats what i want. Also, i like GI better than Endo, but its kinda on the tougher side to get!
all my research papers are in Neonatology, do you think that will have no importance if i apply for GI?

Is it possible to apply to more than one subspecialty???

Early matches include AI, cards, NICU, Heme-Onc. Late matches include PICU and ER. I think a lot of the other fields like renal, rheum, endo, GI, etc are probably later since they dont have match processes and in general are not very competitive.

If you like NICU, you should go for it. From my perspective, I dont think it is a very busy field. The fellowship is no tougher than any other fellowship, so that's a wash. But the field itself, especially if you go into an academic center, is a very manageable lifestyle. You have your service months, which are busy months, but even on these months you dont take in house call because the fellows run the show. You usually have just as many months off-service doing research, which are very light months. Many people at my hospital who went into NICU chose it because of the much better lifestyle in comparison to PICU, cards, HONC, etc.

Early matches include AI, cards, NICU, Heme-Onc. Late matches include PICU and ER. I think a lot of the other fields like renal, rheum, endo, GI, etc are probably later since they dont have match processes and in general are not very competitive.

If you like NICU, you should go for it. From my perspective, I dont think it is a very busy field. The fellowship is no tougher than any other fellowship, so that's a wash. But the field itself, especially if you go into an academic center, is a very manageable lifestyle. You have your service months, which are busy months, but even on these months you dont take in house call because the fellows run the show. You usually have just as many months off-service doing research, which are very light months. Many people at my hospital who went into NICU chose it because of the much better lifestyle in comparison to PICU, cards, HONC, etc.
Actually, GI does have a match and it's fairly competitive for a peds fellowship.

wow that's very interesting. i know that I want to do Neo, but I always thought of it as on the busier side when compared to the other subspecialties you mentioned...I guess that's just more private practice then where you work crazy hours? Do you know if there are large salary disparities between working like you described at an academic center and working in a community hospital somewhere?

And remember, you'll be paid about 1/10 of what your adult GI colleagues will make.

This is the first time I've ever heard neonatology referred to as a "manageable lifestyle". Not that I disagree as I manage my life fine, but we're not often put into the "lifestyle specialty" fields :). I wouldn't agree that NICU is a "much better lifestyle" than other pedi specialties, but there is so much variability that any generalization isn't very useful in my view.

By the way, NICU is a late, not early match for its first match next year.

http://www.nrmp.org/fellow/schedule.html

Also, some NICU academic attendings, including me, do take in-house night call even when on the clinical service. The role of fellows in "running the show" both during the day and night is highly variable in academic centers.

And remember, you'll be paid about 1/10 of what your adult GI colleagues will make.

I think most of us considering peds specialties are doing it because we want to be pediatricians first, not because we're looking for the highest paid specialty in medicine. ;)

I think most of us considering peds specialties are doing it because we want to be pediatricians first, not because we're looking for the highest paid specialty in medicine. ;)

scratch

Members don't see this ad :)
It is clear that you either don't have kids yet, or you have a spouse that makes good money and will help support your income. If the latter is the case, then say "hey" to your nanny for me, because that is who will be caring for your bambinos... unless you have wonderful grandparents.

If she/he only knew you, TexasRose! Got a nanny you're secretly hiding? Pass her my way, will you?!

The way I look at NICU, and it may in reality be much different than what I have seen so far, is that you have your busy busy months when you are on service, but when you aren't on service, it isn't too bad. And there are several attendings at my hospital who are only on service 6 months or less a year. You really don't have your "own patients" in any intensive care field, so you never have patients calling you at home when you aren't on service, unlike peds cards, GI, Honk, etc.

And regarding GI, it may be competitive for a peds specialty, that really means nothing since peds specialties in general are not competitive. Check out the data at the link below. 56 positions available and only 36 US Grad applicants actually submitted a rank list and 33 of them matched (92% match rate). That is more than 1.5 spots per US Grad applicant. That strikes me as fairly easy to match. Compare that to cards and ER (on the same site as below), which only match about 70% US Grads.

http://www.nrmp.org/fellow/match_name/ped_gastro/stats.html

It is clear that you either don't have kids yet
:laugh: It's clear you don't know me at all.

or you have a spouse that makes good money and will help support your income. If the latter is the case, then say "hey" to your nanny for me, because that is who will be caring for your bambinos... unless you have wonderful grandparents.

That's a little nasty, don't you think? And uncalled for?

Anyway, to deny the role of salary when discussing medicine is truly foolish. It has been drilled into us that it is a big faux paux to discuss money. This is absolute crap.

It is true that the path to happiness is found in doing something that has been self-defined as "meaningful" and "profound." However, to bust your tail for so many years, to be away from your family and not give much back to them in return (i.e. you can't give them much of your time and, in some respects, can't give them extra dough to live the higher life--that is, a life that is better than you had as a resident) is really, really difficult.

As a BC pediatrician myself, it is my humble opinion that the true heroes of the medical field today are those in primary care (I'm not in primary care). They are the warriors, the gatekeepers, the folks that take care of so many. In addition, they are the ones that we ridicule and make fun of during our M&M discussions--it isn't right. Many thanks to all of you out there, and all my best to those of you who are going to pursue it.

So I think that we agree, that many pediatricians don't go into the field for the money.

Nope, just me, my husband and my apparently woefully neglected children being raised by wolves. :laugh:

I apologize for being presumptious. As you could probably tell, I struggle to sort out this career-money-kid challenge everyday. Since your sarcasm implies that you and your spouse have it figured out, I commend you. If only we could all be so lucky.

I apologize for being presumptious. As you could probably tell, I struggle to sort out this career-money-kid challenge everyday. Since your sarcasm implies that you and your spouse have it figured out, I commend you. If only we could all be so lucky.
Apology accepted. :)

If she/he only knew you, TexasRose! Got a nanny you're secretly hiding? Pass her my way, will you?!

HER?? HER??

Excuse me, I may be an XY but I enjoy my job (second job ;)) as a nanny. You'll just have to get in line OR have another child. I prefer being a nanny for babies! :love: After they're weaned of course. :)

HER?? HER??

Excuse me, I may be an XY but I enjoy my job (second job ;)) as a nanny. You'll just have to get in line OR have another child. I prefer being a nanny for babies! :love: After they're weaned of course. :)

You're right. I apologize. It was sexist of me to assume that only a woman could be qualified enough to be a nanny.;)

You're right. I apologize. It was sexist of me to assume that only a woman could be qualified enough to be a nanny.;)

Wet nurse, well yes, that one I couldn't do.......:p

Nanny is a job I would have liked. Preschool teacher...I don't think I could have done that though. Those folks are saints.

Wet nurse, well yes, that one I couldn't do.......:p

Nanny is a job I would have liked. Preschool teacher...I don't think I could have done that though. Those folks are saints.

does the term "wet nurse" creep anyone else out or is it just me?

Okee dokee...!! you guys having real funny discussions here!! ha ha.. though, at the same time, i want to commend all of you to keep it alive!
Last couple of days, i have been conversing with a couple of Peds GI places... unlike my understanding, a lot of places are accepting paper applications as well.. and most of them want only a US citizen or a green card holder!!
i am not sure, but i think i might be late enough already if they have been accepting applications for the last one month!??

under these circumstances, do you guys think i should just still go ahead with GI application this yr or wait.., and probably will have to be a PMD for 3 yearss! which i dont mind.. just its hard to get to terms with it!!