pediatric medicine subspecialty following dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PEDOtoothfairy

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I'm interested in pursuing further education after specializing in pediatric dentistry. I have a strong interest in medicine and I'm curious if it's possible to pursue a pediatric subspecialty following Pediatric Dentistry. Is it possible to obtain an M.D. without applying to medical school, only by taking the boards as a dentist?
 
No. There are some OMFS programs that will award an MD as part of the program, but from what I understand they still have to take some medical school classes and step exams.

I suppose theoretically you could then use that MD to apply to peds residency but why on earth would you want to at that point