Mentioning plans for subspecialty training in personal statement when applying to residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thehopefuldoctor23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have very specific goals in pursing a residency in med peds. These goals involve sub specializing after residency and integrating my training in med peds to treat the adolescent and young adult age groups. I have a personal connection with these goals and this is the reason I applied to med school to begin with. Is it bad to mention plans to sub specialize in my personal statement for ERAS? Is it better to remain open or neutral about future career goals at this stage in my training?

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you have a clear reason why you’re applying to med peds and the reason seems to fit with the goals of the specialty, I don’t think its a bad idea at all. Wanting to use med peds training to work with a specific population of patients is definitely in the purview of med peds. You can always add something like you know it’s possible that you could change your mind, but I don’t think it’s necessary.

I have very specific goals in pursing a residency in med peds. These goals involve sub specializing after residency and integrating my training in med peds to treat the adolescent and young adult age groups. I have a personal connection with these goals and this is the reason I applied to med school to begin with. Is it bad to mention plans to sub specialize in my personal statement for ERAS? Is it better to remain open or neutral about future career goals at this stage in my training?

Reactions: 1 user
Strongly agree - if well thought out it will help! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I waffled on this as well, and decided to talk about the subspecialty because I think the way I have spent my time in med school makes it pretty clear what my passions are.