Mauritius

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
Status
Does anyone have any thoughts re: which pediatric ophthalmology fellowships provide the best training?

Morton

none
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Good question...I'd love to know what the premier peds fellowships are.

What about retina? I've heard UCSF and BP are excellent. What others?

Retinamark

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 29, 2004
Melbourne AUSTRALIA, now USA
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I don't know much about the good US pediatric ophthal fellowships, but some of the great pediatric fellowships outside the US are:

Sick Kids - Toronto
Great Ormond St - London
Royal Children's Hospital - Melbourne, Australia

Corn Dog

Dream Big
10+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
bump

What are the top ped opthalmology fellowship programs? Does it correlate with the caliber of the children's hospital associated with the program?

The ones that come to mind are Boston Children's, CHOP, UCLA, UCSF, Iowa, Duke, Michigan, JHU... anywhere else?

Thanks in advance.

Bluesclera

7+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
No specific order and most definitely forgetting some great programs- these are programs that I learned about at last weeks AAPOS meeting-
Duke (Dr. Freedman), Wills (Dr. Levin), UCLA (Dr. Demer), Boston Children's (Dr. Walton, Dr. Hunter), CHOP (Dr. Forbes, Dr. Mills), Children's National (Dr. Park's started the field).

I think Peds ophtho is one of those sub-specialities that still has legends that you really want to train under or have that reputation to work in said department. It's a fantastic field with various trail blazers who are redefining the future of peds ophtho.

Ignatius M.D.

5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm pretty sure Children's National was the first peds ophtho department, but don't quote me on that. I'd add UW-Seattle Children's with Dr. Weiss. CHLA has some unique stuff in their department (one of the only peds cornea centers). I'm sure Baylor, Michigan, and Wash U have great programs with each having top children's hospitals-Texas Children's, Mott's, and St.Louis Children's-affiliated with them (and they are top overall programs).

Bluesclera

7+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah Ignatius - Children's National was the first peds ophtho program- Dr. Marshall Park's started the the whole thing....focused a bit too much on the historical aspect of the AAPOS conference....