Pediatric Optometry Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beansmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a second year student at Southern College of Optometry and I have taken an interest in Pediatrics. I am considering a residency after graduation and would like to hear from either current residents or current practicing Optometrists that specialize in Pediatrics about their experiences, pros, and cons. Also if there is a similar thread please direct me to it. Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! You're better off looking up some private practices that have Peds and shadow them (not many of them). Also shadow a Peds oMD for a few visits, they'll have insights into the specialty.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly just go talk to your current peds faculty and resident as you aren't going to get much feedback here. You're probably going to get much, much more peds education in your curriculum to come, so then you can truly gauge if that is something that you are interested in.

Pretty much anyone that does a residency usually supports doing a residency. A residency will most likely just help you be more confident in controlling a pediatric exam for infants and toddlers for your objective testing, a lot more exposure to prescribing to ambylopic infants and toddlers, prescribing meds ror infants and toddlers, and vision therapy and more extreme cases of binocular vision disorders.

Its all about learning to do a confident exam on an infant or toddler, where you give the non-speaking, non-cooperative person the help they need while exuding confidence to their parents who are judging you constantly. You only get 5-10 minutes to work with this age demographic because otherwise they'll shut down (cry, tantrum, wont cooperate). Most of it will be binocular vision referrals.