pediatric pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maybepp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have opinions on the good and the bad among ACGME programs?

I know many are of the opinion that fellowship training is not necessary to do the job, but most academic centres require board certification because they need certified peds path to maintain their affiliation with COG (Children's Oncology Group-- the pediatric oncology trials group).

So, debates over the utility of this subspecialty training, do you have any idea which are the best and worst places to train? There are tons of vacant positions, as far as I can tell. I found one other old thread but a dearth of useful comments.

Members don't see this ad.

I know many are of the opinion that fellowship training is not necessary to do the job, but most academic centres require board certification because they need certified peds path to maintain their affiliation with COG (Children's Oncology Group-- the pediatric oncology trials group).

So, debates over the utility of this subspecialty training, do you have any idea which are the best and worst places to train? There are tons of vacant positions, as far as I can tell. I found one other old thread but a dearth of useful comments.

The best places to train are the ones associated with a famous children's hospital such as Boston children's, Philadelphia, the northwestern program associates with children's hospital in Chicago, USC which is associated with the one in los Angeles.

My residency program had a job offering for a Peds pathologists which was never filled the five years I was there. This is partly because we weren't a huge children's hospital and partly because the subspecialty surgical pathologists thought they were more than adequate to handle pediatric pathology. However the pediatric surgeons and oncologists were definitely pissed and put pressure in us to hire a pediatric surgical pathologist. The pediatric pathologists in the department were pure researchers and too out of touch with surgical pathology to practice.

Some of it may depend on where you want to live, or where you might want to work after fellowship, as many take internal fellows on as faculty.

Some good ones- in no particular order:
Boston
Brown (especially for perinatal)
CHOP in Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Cinncinnati Childrens
Nationwide in Columbus
Seattle Childrens
Denver Childrens
Texas Childrens
Dallas Childrens
Washington University in St. Louis

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I'd prefer to go to a slightly smaller city for a variety of reasons. Some of these places actually have advertised openings for next year (2014) so I am going to try my luck.

Thanks! I'd prefer to go to a slightly smaller city for a variety of reasons. Some of these places actually have advertised openings for next year (2014) so I am going to try my luck.
Hello,

I am in a pediatric and perinatal pathology fellowship training and I was wondering what are the good books and resources to study for the board exam. Any ideas ?