1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Pediatric Radiation Oncology

Discussion in 'Radiation Oncology' started by ercxi, Dec 17, 2008.

1. ercxi

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi,

I'm interested in radiation oncology as a specialty. However, I really feel like I would much rather practice in peds than with adults. Is there such a thing as a pediatric radiation oncologist? And if there is, how would one go about doing this? I have searched and have found no pediatric rad onc fellowships. Thanks for your responses.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Gfunk6

Gfunk6 And to think . . . I hesitated
    Physician PhD Faculty Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes you can specialize in this, but in academics only. Places like St. Judes should have a Peds fellowship. However, many larger programs give you sufficient peds case volume to obviate the need for a fellowship.

4. RetroX

RetroX New Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You have to log 10 or 12 pediatric cases during your residency for ACGME requirement. Some programs have no pediatric cases, and you have to rotate through other rad onc programs to complete that requirement. And if you are in those programs, you would definitely need to do a fellowship if you want to specialize in Peds in an academic setting. In some facilities, there are tons of ped cases as per Gfunk. In my program, I logged all my peds requirement during my 1st year.

#3 RetroX, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  5. ercxi

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thank you both for your answers.