• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!


10+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

I'm interested in radiation oncology as a specialty. However, I really feel like I would much rather practice in peds than with adults. Is there such a thing as a pediatric radiation oncologist? And if there is, how would one go about doing this? I have searched and have found no pediatric rad onc fellowships. Thanks for your responses.


New Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Yes you can specialize in this, but in academics only. Places like St. Judes should have a Peds fellowship. However, many larger programs give you sufficient peds case volume to obviate the need for a fellowship.

You have to log 10 or 12 pediatric cases during your residency for ACGME requirement. Some programs have no pediatric cases, and you have to rotate through other rad onc programs to complete that requirement. And if you are in those programs, you would definitely need to do a fellowship if you want to specialize in Peds in an academic setting. In some facilities, there are tons of ped cases as per Gfunk. In my program, I logged all my peds requirement during my 1st year.
Last edited:
About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.