Pediatric residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matt46

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How competitive is a pediatric specialty?(compared with other specialties)

Do you get to choose where(as in somewhere not far from your apartment) you want to do your residency(is there an application process similar to the kind you'd have when entering medical school or is it completely based on a "match")?

Thank you everybody for taking the time to read and hopefully respond to my post. It is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You should take a look at the FAQs in the pediatric forum.
The quick response would be...
probably in the lowest tier of competitiveness as a specialty, but some programs are VERY competitive.
It's part of the match, just like most residencies. You may not be able to match at a place close to your apartment if there's not a lot of programs in your city. It just depends.

Do you get to choose where(as in somewhere not far from your apartment) you want to do your residency(is there an application process similar to the kind you'd have when entering medical school or is it completely based on a "match")?

Thank you everybody for taking the time to read and hopefully respond to my post. It is much appreciated.

You're pre-med, so don't worry about competitiveness of specific residencies and matching and all that stuff right now. It'll all make sense in a few years.

Just do your best in med school. You may want peds now, but it's smart to achieve as high as you can. Pragmatically, you never know if you may want to switch into trying to be something ultra competitive like derm later. But on a "goody-two-shoes" level, you want to be a good doctor so work hard and learn a lot :)

Members don't see this ad :)

First, get into medical school. You have plenty of time to think about what kind of specialty you want to go into. Peds residencies are obtained through the match, just like residencies in other specialties, just so you know. And keep your options open. You might fall in love with a program in a completely different part of the country from where you are now. And not necessarily in peds. You might find that you really want to do surgery, for example.

Don't worry. I'm sure after dealing with parents enough he/she will not be interested in peds. ;)

Do you get to choose where(as in somewhere not far from your apartment) you want to do your residency

Um, I think it's pretty safe to say that you will rank places on your match list that aren't right down the block, and may end up attending one. A good percentage of people choose or have to move for residency. I wouldn't plan on staying in the same place for the next 7-10 years starting with med school. If you do, great, but it's probably the minority.