Pediatric shelf exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doepug

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken the peds shelf exam? Any tips? Topics to know inside and out? I've heard it's unbelievably hard...

Thanks,
doepug

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Having rather recently taken that exam, I'd say know Blueprints inside and out. Knowing Pretest was pretty useful too, and I've found going through my Step 2 review books (First Aid and Boards and Wards) always is high yield for last minute shelf exam review as well. I used Appleton and Lange as well, but I don't think it helped that much on the exam, though it helped me process the Blueprints material in the first place, by having it in question format.

If I had to pick a topic that I should have known better, it would be failure to thrive/growth ******ation/premature puberty, which is lumped together as "endocrine", but that's just my opnion. However, as with all of the shelf exams, there's stuff on there (20%?) you can't really study for, since they mainly come clinical "common sense" which you've allegedly acquired during your rotation. I didn't think it was THAT hard, though I've heard many people say it's the hardest shelf. I think, in retrospect, it's the hardest rotation to STUDY because you have to cram about as much info as there is in internal medicine, in half the time.

Hope that helps. I wouldn't study any additional study materials than what I did in retrospect. Just know them well, and you'll be fine.

Blue Prints and Appleton and Lange. End of story