1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

pediatric shelf exam

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by nightowl, Dec 19, 2008.

1. nightowl

nightowl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm trying to figure out what to use to study for the pediatrics shelf exam. I want to do really well because I'm leaning towards it as my specialty of choice.... any recommendations? Thanks!:)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Scaredshizzles

5+ Year Member

BRS is pretty thorough. There is a mini-textbook by Bernstein and Shelov if you have the time. Some people like blueprints and first exposure, but I don't think those are as good as the BRS if you want to be thorough. The Peds shelf is a lot of diagnoses, they test you more on the stuff that is purely pediatrics as opposed to stuff which could just as easily be tested on the im shelf. They'll throw in a lot of outpatient stuff, ear infections and developmental stuff. From my experience there isn't as much fluid/nutrition management as you would expect based on how much it is discussed on the wards.

4. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  5. themudphud

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    You know, I found the peds shelf to be a little harder than I thought it would be. BRS is pretty good and I should spent more tiime reading it. Pretest is pretty good too with the questions.

6. Pinkertinkle

Pinkertinkle 2003 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    For the peds shelf Blueprints Pediatrics is my gold standard. Do case files after you've read blueprints. Worked well for me.

7. busthwt

busthwt Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I thought it was a tough exam, but blueprints worked well and pretest was really good. I also used casefiles but thought that blueprints was better.

8. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Pretest had more than a few questions that were almost exactly like those on the shelf. Very good use of my time.

9. Snuffbox

2+ Year Member

Took the test a week ago, no idea how I did. Not expecting to blow it out of the water but I'd be thrilled if I improved on my last shelf (baby steps!).

Read through Blueprints at some point during the rotation (it was a blur) but moved onto Casefiles at the end and referred back to Blueprints. Did most of Pretest (except a couple of chapters) and skimmed through a good amount of Appleton but didn't really spend too much time on it. The test is challenging and I definitely did my fair share of guessing. We'll see how I did on it- I'll comment more when I get my score back and can tell you what worked and what didn't ;)

#8 Snuffbox, Dec 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  10. NavyOfficerDO

I only used pretest for Peds shelf (did it twice) and passed... it was a good investment