Pediatric Subspecialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gator05

Resident
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious about pediatric subspecialties. It seems you have to begin applying during your 2nd year of peds residency. At that point, have you seen enough subspecialties to know what you'd like to do? Should one plan on using 4th year med school rotations to get a good idea of their general direction?

Members don't see this ad.

It would be good idea to check out a few subspecialties during the 4th year I would assume. I am interested in about 4 or 5 peds specialties, so it is obviously impossible to check them all out, but i am doing cardio, allergy, and GI rotations although I am also interested in endocrine and pulmonology.

Apply for fellowship in 2nd year rez from what I hear.

I don't know anything about the competitiveness of these fellowships though. I guess I'll find out in a few years

Applications for fellowship usually should be sent out in your 2nd year of residency. Since during 1st year you are not submersed in certain subspecialties it is difficult to decide which if any to choose. If you are in a reasonable program getting into a fellowship shouldn't be a problem. The only ultra-competative fellowship is EM, which also is an exception by having a December of 3rd year match. Good luck.