Pediatric surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tvelocity514

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone recommend the top 5-10 general surgery residencies for a future fellowship in peds please? I understand you can go to a lot of places and get research experience, but it would be nice to know a few places that are very helpful to the resident in getting them the research they need and connections etc (and hopefully they will have a good fellowship program as well). Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Any of the various top 10 program ranking lists would be an effective proxy for this
Great, thanks! I was just making sure there weren't some places that weren't top 10 on those rankings but had a top 10 peds match rate for fellowship etc. Thanks for the help!

MCW seems like it does a good job of placing residents into peds.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
U Cincinnati has a strong peds surg placement record.

Cornell, on the other hand, has placed 1 in the past 11 years.

Chicken v egg?

Are Cornell graduates failing to match into peds surgery despite an interest? If so, that's a problem, but I highly doubt that's the case.

Very valid point. However, you wonder if people are not interested a priori or if they lose interest / fail to become interested due to poor mentorship / a bad experience with the department or with the attendings.

Or maybe it's because cincinnati children's has a big name and a lot of peds surgeons while cornell just has a peds floor and scattered peds cases with less exposure to peds and more to others

Reactions: 3 users
I did my internship at a center that didn't have a long list of grads placed into peds. My chief there matched at CHOP with a super impressive CV. I'm sure its an easier road coming from a pipeline type place, but possible from other places if you've got the credentials. Good luck

Can someone recommend the top 5-10 general surgery residencies for a future fellowship in peds please? I understand you can go to a lot of places and get research experience, but it would be nice to know a few places that are very helpful to the resident in getting them the research they need and connections etc (and hopefully they will have a good fellowship program as well). Thanks for the help!

Your best bet is to find a place with an established Ped Surg fellowship program. Off the top of my head, some of the super large pedi programs are: Toronto, Cincinnati, Columbus, University of Michigan, USC, CHOP (U Penn), and MGH. I'm sure I'm leaving out a couple, but bottom line is: the Ped Surg world is small. Find a place with famous guys that know people. It is possible to match out of a place without a big presence, but you are at a disadvantage.

Reactions: 1 users
Your best bet is to find a place with an established Ped Surg fellowship program. Off the top of my head, some of the super large pedi programs are: Toronto, Cincinnati, Columbus, University of Michigan, USC, CHOP (U Penn), and MGH. I'm sure I'm leaving out a couple, but bottom line is: the Ped Surg world is small. Find a place with famous guys that know people. It is possible to match out of a place without a big presence, but you are at a disadvantage.

Just a note - Columbus while they have an impressive peds surg fellowship & facilities, has not matched someone into peds surgery since 2003.

Just a note - Columbus while they have an impressive peds surg fellowship & facilities, has not matched someone into peds surgery since 2003.

Interesting. I had no idea it had been that long. Any idea why?

I know they say you need to do ~2 years of research after residency to match, but is it possible (or likely) to not have to do those 2 years by matching at one of these places and doing research during residency?

Last edited:
Maybe of railing the thread, but more interesting is how many of those who did dedicated research time during their residency and matched their #1 fellowship do continue with research?

Here in northern Europe a PhD title is required to become senior consultant/attending at the academic centers (University hospitals), but what is painfully obvious (data on it) is that very few continue with research after becoming consultant.

Research is not for everyone...

Every time these threads come up you hear some anecdotes of people who matched without the research time.

IMHO those people must have had something else on their CV (eg PhD, prior pubs) to make them an exceptional candidate. For the ordinary joes like the rest of us, if you want to match in an Uber-competitive fellowship, take the tried and true route.
Speak for yourself, my momma says I'm exceptional

Every time these threads come up you hear some anecdotes of people who matched without the research time.

IMHO those people must have had something else on their CV (eg PhD, prior pubs) to make them an exceptional candidate. For the ordinary joes like the rest of us, if you want to match in an Uber-competitive fellowship, take the tried and true route.

One of the chiefs in my program matched peds surgery a year ago. He graduated at least 4-5 years before I even arrived. Did two separate fellowships I think in peds critical care and peds surg onc. I don't think those two fellowships he did were even accredited but I guess it showed dedication to the field. But the bottom line is to publish like a fiend.

Bumping this thread to get opinion on the UAMS program if any of you all know much about it. I know it's small (only 3 peds surgeons on staff), but I'm excited to have a home program for down the road.