Pediatricians in Ohio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluebirdie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
Not sure if there are any ohioans here, but I've heard that in NE ohio new pediatricians can only expect to make 60-70k per year. Compared to the general pop. that is great! However, with 200k of loans to pay back plus not starting your job until age 30 it just doesn't seem like it's appropriate. Has anyone else heard anything similar to this?

Members don't see this ad.

bluebirdie said:
Hi there,
Not sure if there are any ohioans here, but I've heard that in NE ohio new pediatricians can only expect to make 60-70k per year. Compared to the general pop. that is great! However, with 200k of loans to pay back plus not starting your job until age 30 it just doesn't seem like it's appropriate. Has anyone else heard anything similar to this?

I heard $50K tops. And the Ohioan government forces you to pay your loans off in 3 years.

scholes said:
I heard $50K tops. And the Ohioan government forces you to pay your loans off in 3 years.

I'm an Ohioan, soon to be graduate, and this is news to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
jamie said:
I'm an Ohioan, soon to be graduate, and this is news to me.

Well the Ohioans have been known to be an aggressive people. They have been talking about invading Indiana and Pennsylvania for years. It appears to stem from bitterness resulting from the lack of a successful professional sports franchise.

In reality, I am full of crap and thought that such an outrageous statement would have been interpreted as sarcasm. I have never heard this about Ohio. I would imagine that it is not true because no person in their right mind would take a job paying that much when they can go elsewhere and double their pay. Usually the lowest paying places are those that are powerhouses in the field. The draw to these institutions is their prestige, which one can acquire at the expense of a decent salary. From my knowledge, the prestige of northeastern Ohio is somehwhat below that of CHOP, Hopkins, and Boston Children's.

$60,000/YEAR?!!!

Man, I like pediatrics, but the bottom line IS THE BOTTOM LINE.

I'm not making this up. This is coming from a classmate whose mother is a pediatrician. I guess since there are so many pediatricians in the NE ohio area, compensation is extremely low. Her mom told her that if she wanted to do peds, to do another specialty and specialize in peds. Some of my classmates have been send on clinical experiences where they have heard similar stories. It was very discouraging to me considering I really am interested in pediatrics.

bluebirdie said:
I'm not making this up. This is coming from a classmate whose mother is a pediatrician. I guess since there are so many pediatricians in the NE ohio area, compensation is extremely low. Her mom told her that if she wanted to do peds, to do another specialty and specialize in peds. Some of my classmates have been send on clinical experiences where they have heard similar stories. It was very discouraging to me considering I really am interested in pediatrics.

I am not sure why the said that, especially the peds docs. From a recruiting site, it looks like the average is around 120,000. Just like the rest of the nation. Here are some samples:

Great Pediatric Opportunity - Awesome Midwest Location Close to Metro!
Permanent Pediatrics

Practice in a brand new maternity center
Salary 120K DOEHospital call 1:6
Pediatrician need not be present for most c-sections
Tremendous growth in area
Mostly outpatient with some hospital rounding
Loan repayment
Malpractice paid
Health, dental, life, and disability
Relocation package

And another one:

Practice Type Any
City DAYTON
State OH
BC/BE Required? Board Certified
Call Rotation None
Start Date ASAP
End Date
Partnership (# of years)
Skills Needed MUST HAVE A CLEAN RECORD. GOVERNMENT BASED OUTPATIENT CLINIC. NO NIGHTS. NO WEEKENDS. NO CALL.
Practice Description
Location Description
Citizenship Info US OR GREENCARD
Salary Information (Permanent or Locums) 130,000

There are many more like this. Bottom line, Ohio is in line with the average peds salary of $120,000. Plenty of money in Ohio. I don't understand why people would say that to you.

iatrosB said:
I am not sure why the said that, especially the peds docs. From a recruiting site, it looks like the average is around 120,000. Just like the rest of the nation. Here are some samples:

Great Pediatric Opportunity - Awesome Midwest Location Close to Metro!
Permanent Pediatrics

Practice in a brand new maternity center
Salary 120K DOEHospital call 1:6
Pediatrician need not be present for most c-sections
Tremendous growth in area
Mostly outpatient with some hospital rounding
Loan repayment
Malpractice paid
Health, dental, life, and disability
Relocation package

And another one:

Practice Type Any
City DAYTON
State OH
BC/BE Required? Board Certified
Call Rotation None
Start Date ASAP
End Date
Partnership (# of years)
Skills Needed MUST HAVE A CLEAN RECORD. GOVERNMENT BASED OUTPATIENT CLINIC. NO NIGHTS. NO WEEKENDS. NO CALL.
Practice Description
Location Description
Citizenship Info US OR GREENCARD
Salary Information (Permanent or Locums) 130,000

There are many more like this. Bottom line, Ohio is in line with the average peds salary of $120,000. Plenty of money in Ohio. I don't understand why people would say that to you.

Not sure, people in my class tend to be discouraging in general :rolleyes: Maybe she was trying to eliminate competition?? since peds is up there in competition with derm and optho and such... :p

bluebirdie said:
Not sure, people in my class tend to be discouraging in general :rolleyes: Maybe she was trying to eliminate competition?? since peds is up there in competition with derm and optho and such... :p

Yeah, I've heard if you don't have AOA and 99 percentile on USMLE then don't even bother applying to lower tier programs. :laugh: