Pediatrician's net income

Started by premed101
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I do not know anything about the income side of things; however, as a student, I know what I observe. Out of the few states where I have been, the place where I hear most private practice physicians complain about these issues specifically are NY and NJ. Maybe there are differences among locale. I didn't hear this as much in MI, MA, OK, or WI. The cost of living is high in NJ and NY. I went back to Boston and was walkind down Newbury st and I said man this is cheap. Before NYC, that was expensive. The bankers drove the costs up and physicians can't keep up and volume is high. This is just a postulate and my observations. MI and WI are dirt cheap.

I read that pediatricians make about 150,000. Is this the net income after paying all the overhead and everything? Or before?
I'm not looking to be rich or anything through pediatrics, but I do want to be able to pay back my loans and live a comfortable lifestyle.
this article scares me even more: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/17/health/views/17essa.html?ref=health