Pediatrics and Child Neuro Advice

Started by DocP
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DocP

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I'm new to this particular forum. I will be applying to pediatrics residencies this year and was hoping for some advice. I would ultimately like to enter Child Neuro, however I am not planning to apply via SF Match this year, but would rather like to complete my three years in pediatrics first.

My question - on the interview trail, is it okay for me to mention that I plan to go into Child Neuro but also state that I have NOT applied to any fellowships in the SF Match this year? I want to be honest about my plans (especially since one of my letters is from a Peds Neuro attending) - however, I am nervous about it hurting me.

Any advice?
 
Hi all, I'm new to this particular forum. I will be applying to pediatrics residencies this year and was hoping for some advice. I would ultimately like to enter Child Neuro, however I am not planning to apply via SF Match this year, but would rather like to complete my three years in pediatrics first.

My question - on the interview trail, is it okay for me to mention that I plan to go into Child Neuro but also state that I have NOT applied to any fellowships in the SF Match this year? I want to be honest about my plans (especially since one of my letters is from a Peds Neuro attending) - however, I am nervous about it hurting me.

Any advice?

I honestly do not think it will hurt you at all. I cannot really see it hurting you besides the fact that it may be harder to obtain a fellowship where you want to because spots will be filled by those individuals who do the 5-year program match. Plenty of people end up applying to Child Neurology after completing a full peds residency. I would be completely honest. I was honest about the subspecialties I was interested in (although none of them fast track like Child Neuro) and told my interviewers that I was positive that I did not want to do primary care pediatrics but I wanted a solid background in it. You might be asked why you did not want to apply to the SF match and you can be honest about why. If I was in your position and knew that I wanted to do Child Neuro, I would also still do the full 3 years of peds because I want the full experience and do not want to short change my general pediatric education. Some people are totally comfortable with only doing 2 years and I respect that, but I want to complete 3 full years of pediatric training. I hope this was somewhat helpful.
 
I honestly do not think it will hurt you at all. I cannot really see it hurting you besides the fact that it may be harder to obtain a fellowship where you want to because spots will be filled by those individuals who do the 5-year program match. Plenty of people end up applying to Child Neurology after completing a full peds residency. I would be completely honest. I was honest about the subspecialties I was interested in (although none of them fast track like Child Neuro) and told my interviewers that I was positive that I did not want to do primary care pediatrics but I wanted a solid background in it. You might be asked why you did not want to apply to the SF match and you can be honest about why. If I was in your position and knew that I wanted to do Child Neuro, I would also still do the full 3 years of peds because I want the full experience and do not want to short change my general pediatric education. Some people are totally comfortable with only doing 2 years and I respect that, but I want to complete 3 full years of pediatric training. I hope this was somewhat helpful.
Thank you! These are my sentiments exactly.