Pediatrics cardiology fellowship interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Markbright

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I applied on the first day of the peds card fellowship application season (dec 2, 2013) and have not received any interviews yet ..... nothing in my inbox, just the sound of crickets :(
When do peds card fellowship programs typically begin to send out invitations for interviews? Should I expect any in December or does most activity take place in January?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Cricket sounds in my inbox .... cricket sounds in this thread ... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Late january
Thanks for your post Med Peds. I was beginning to get nervous as some of my colleagues applying to other fellowships are beginning to rack up a handful of interviews. I guess Peds Card may be more competitive or programs take their time to decide and send out interview invites.

Ok thanks.
Btw, how come Peds Cards is very competitive compared to other peds sub-specialties?

Same reasons as for any other field -- relatively higher pay, more procedural based field if you like that kind of stuff. Variety of practice environments.

I applied and matched last year -- I dont think it is THAT competitive. I got interviews at top ranked programs and matched a top 5 academic institution and my credentials were not very strong. I had excellent letters of rec but not very much research experience.

Same reasons as for any other field -- relatively higher pay, more procedural based field if you like that kind of stuff. Variety of practice environments.I applied and matched last year -- I dont think it is THAT competitive. I got interviews at top ranked programs and matched a top 5 academic institution and my credentials were not very strong. I had excellent letters of rec but not very much research experience.
Thanks for your input and congrats on your match! I am guessing you applied post-residency and so I'm sure you had a good CV... Btw, during your application season, did you get most of your interviews in January or was there any activity in December? I am a 2nd year resident and not from a very strong peds program. My friend who has applied to Peds Heme/Onc already has a boat load of interviews and is an IMG like me..... though he was concerned hearing that salaries in that specialty are actually less than in general peds (I was surprised to hear that myself).

I am also a second year resident at a medium sized program applying for fellowship in peds cardiology. I've gotten two interviews thus far and one rejection. I think this would be a good place to let everyone know when they're hearing from programs. I am an IMG, but I've known I was going to apply for peds cardiology since I started residency so I have plenty of research and letters from a cardiologist in my program so heres hoping for the best. I know its very competitive for IMG's but I feel if you have strong letters and CV you'll stand a chance.

I am also a second year resident at a medium sized program applying for fellowship in peds cardiology. I've gotten two interviews thus far and one rejection. I think this would be a good place to let everyone know when they're hearing from programs. I am an IMG, but I've known I was going to apply for peds cardiology since I started residency so I have plenty of research and letters from a cardiologist in my program so heres hoping for the best. I know its very competitive for IMG's but I feel if you have strong letters and CV you'll stand a chance.
Thanks for your post and congrats on your interviews!! Yes it is very competitive for IMGs because my colleagues applying in other peds specialties have quite a few interviews ... with no research :)
You have planned well indeed. I was not so sure which sub specialty I would be interested in till I finished my intern year and do not have enough research yet. Hoping for the best though ...... :(
Let's keep the peds card discussion going on for this match.

I am a second year in a med sized peds program which has a peds card fellowship program too and have couple of interviews lined up along with rejections from Michi, Hopkins. It is competitive for IMG's and AMG's as well. Last year the matching rates were 49 and 75 % respectively so its not that being an AMG guarantees a spot. Good luck to everyone applying this year.I did have decent research (and hopefully good LOR's). I was expecting a lot more activity but this has turned into more of a slow wait.

Last edited:
I am a second year in a med sized peds program which has a peds card fellowship program too and have couple of interviews lined up along with rejections from Michi, Hopkins. It is competitive for IMG's and AMG's as well. Last year the matching rates were 49 and 75 % respectively so its not that being an AMG guarantees a spot. Good luck to everyone applying this year.I did have decent research (and hopefully good LOR's). I was expecting a lot more activity but this has turned into more of a slow wait.
Yeah it is scary and I am beginning to wonder if it is just a slow year or if it is more competitive this year. I am already loosing hope.
Btw, I think the figures may be higher than what you posted. Looking at last year's figures NRMP Fellowship data There were 161 applicants for 134 positions and 127 matched. The breakdown by applicant type was:
98 AMG applicants and 88 matched (~90% match rate for AMGs). Match data for other candidate types was grouped together but I estimated about 60% match rate for IMGs. Though, I have to say that your figures kind of show the reality of what seems to be happening this year.

Just a random question,
Is it poor form to post where you have interviews on here, I'm curious and am willing to share but if people are uncomfortable sharing and if thats not proper forum etiquette (new to this whole thing) then its all good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a random question,
Is it poor form to post where you have interviews on here, I'm curious and am willing to share but if people are uncomfortable sharing and if thats not proper forum etiquette (new to this whole thing) then its all good.
I think it's a good idea .... if you guys also think it's a good idea, we can do so. In fact we can even have just one person post where the interviews have been received if people do not want to post it from their user ID. I have seen it done like this in the previous years peds cards threads. We can either get assistance of one of the mods to do the postings (if they are willing), or one of us can volunteer and the rest just PM or email the info. What are your thoughts?
I can volunteer to do so, so you can either PM the info or email me and not from your official email with your name etc and do not put your sdn ID there either :). Email me at blah blah bla blah (please note that i have taken off my posted email address off this thread as the match season is over). Or if you are willing to post the interview info here, feel free to do so on this thread.

Last edited:
Interviews (Peds Cardiology 2015 Match):

Updated : 8.15 PM EST , Feb 14, 2014

(Date interview received: Program Name)

12/5/13: Jefferson
12/12/13: U of Michigan
12/12/13: Cincinnati Childrens
12/16/13: Detroit Med Ctr
12/18/13: Miami Childrens
12/19/13: MUSC
12/20/13: Baylor
12/27/13: U of Utah
12/27/13: DC Childrens
12/30/13: UPMC
12/30/13: Cleveland clinic
1/6/14: Mayo Clinic
1/6/14: University of Miami
1/6/14: UT Memphis
1/6/14: Arkansas Children's
1/6/14: U of Minnesota
1/6/14: Albert Einstein , NYC
1/7/14: Yale
1/9/14: Med College of Wisconsin
1/9/14: Vanderbilt
1/10/14: St Louis U
1/10:/14 Case Western - Rainbow Babies
1/13/14: Emory
1/14/14: NYU - Langone
1/14/14: Penn State Hershey
1/14/14: Rush
1/16/14: U of Missouri - Kansas City
1/16/14: Oregon state
1/17/14: Seattle children's Hosp.
1/17/14: Wash Univ - St.Louis
1/22/14: U of Rochester
1/24/14: NSLIJ (Alexandra Cohen Children's, NY)
1/26/14: Indiana University (Riley)
1/26/14: Colorado children's hosp
1/27/14: Denver children's Hosp.
1/28/14: U of Cali San Fran
2/14/14: LSU

Updated : 8.15 PM EST , Feb 14, 2014

(Feel free to either add to this on your own, PM me or have a friend PM me the info or you can choose to email me the info instead - see my email in previous post).

Last edited:
Is anyone doing practice interviews? Whats the usual consensus on doing them?

I was wondering how many offers is everyone getting so far I have gotten 3 offers and 4 rejection (one of them sounded like I was being wait listed but I am not going to count on that). Anyone interview at NYU receive interview dates yet?

Interviews (Peds Cardiology 2015 Match):

12/5: Jefferson
12/12: U of Michigan
12/18: Miami Childrens
12/19: MUSC
12/20: Baylor
12/27: DC Childrens
12/30: UPMC
12/30: Cleveland clinic
1/6: University of Miami
1/6: UT Memphis
1/6: Arkansas Children's
1/6: U of Minnesota
1/6: Albert Einstein , NYC
1/7: Yale
1/9: Vanderbilt
1/10: Case Western - Rainbow Babies
1/13: Emory
1/14: NYU - Langone
1/14: Penn State Hershey
1/16: U of Missouri - Kansas City

Updated : 6.05 PM EST , Jan 17, 2014

(Feel free to either add to this on your own, PM me the info or email me the info - see my email in previous post).

I am from mid size program, with limited research experience. So far I have 6 offers and 4 rejections.
Questions:
How many interviews are enough? Is there a pre-match in fellowship? Has any one heard from west coast?
thanks and best of luck

I am from mid size program, with limited research experience. So far I have 6 offers and 4 rejections.
Questions:
How many interviews are enough? Is there a pre-match in fellowship? Has any one heard from west coast?
thanks and best of luck
I do not believe there are prematches in fellowships. Yeah it would have been nice to have an idea of figures. NRMP does do an analysis : look up "Charting the outcomes.....". Unfortunately, I did not see any for data for peds Cardiology

Great thread! I am signing in. I am an IMG in a mid size pediatrics program.
@Markbright I have sent you my list too though I already see the same programs listed here already and so there is no new information.
@MPMD821 - I am up for practice interviews
@Drguanaco - I too got 1 from NYU and it took a while to schedule the interview.
@maby: all I have received from the west coast so far are rejections.

Hi All
I have applied to Peds Cardiology as well so Far have got 4 invites and as many as 9 rejections
Many of the programs listed above have not reached me yet
what does that mean??
I dont know how many are enough but my inbox has turned silent in over a week now no replies at all
Also what does the date next to the places above mean is it when you guys heard back ???

Hi Imran. Yes the dates indicate the day the interview call was received.

hey guys I am new to the forum. Also in the same sutuation as my friend Imran here. not sure if the IV calls are over or we still should have some hopes.

hey guys I am new to the forum. Also in the same sutuation as my friend Imran here. not sure if the IV calls are over or we still should have some hopes.
I think some interviews are still being sent out. I received one late last week. Good luck.

LA programs send out invites in mid-feb, still some hope :)

I think that's the end of the season for me
No more IV's will have to try my best with whatever I have
Has anyone heard back in the last few weeks

I think that's the end of the season for me
No more IV's will have to try my best with whatever I have
Has anyone heard back in the last few weeks
yes I have.

@Eunomia that's good to hear. I have not heard from many west coast programs and so was assuming a silent rejection (like many others I applied to did).

Good luck to all with the interviews. I am sure some have already started. I am about to have mine soon .....

Just curious,I'm and intern looking to apply in ped cardiology this year.I've had some peds research experience and a publication in a well known journal,was wondering if it is absolutely essential to have research, and if yes how many on an average.I am from a small to mid sized univ program.
best of luck guys.:)

Just curious,I'm and intern looking to apply in ped cardiology this year.I've had some peds research experience and a publication in a well known journal,was wondering if it is absolutely essential to have research, and if yes how many on an average.I am from a small to mid sized univ program.
best of luck guys.:)
I think you have a great foundation. Do try and continue your efforts and get involved with some research activity in your residency. In my interviews so far they have asked me to discuss at length what I am involved in. While it is not the only thing they look for, I would say it is an important component. There is an excellent link posted in this thread (^^) that should give you an idea of what interviewers look for and how you can plan things out. It is very good that you are drawing up a plan in your first year it self. Good luck.

Last edited:
@heman466s , agree with markbright. Research has a very important part of your application. I believe PD's want someone who can finish a research project over the 3 years of training so if you have good foundation then gives them confidence.

My fellow competitors (note: cardio is very competitive, this year oh may be extremely), how do you compare programs? What things do you look when you interview?

Are the interview lists up to date? Has anyone gotten anymore invites?

So cardiology being so competitive do you guys apply all over or were you restricted to an area ?

.. how do you compare programs? What things do you look when you interview?
Obviously programs tend to have a perceived ranking however, I try to keep an open mind and look for how good they are in the various areas : interventional (# cath procedures), imaging, EP, surgery, transplant etc. How strong their research base is. I also try to find out how their graduates have fared post fellowship: academic placements, jobs etc
... cardio is very competitive, this year oh may be extremely......
.... tell me about it :)

Hi all,
I am hoping to apply to pediatric cardiology ...and wanted some advice about choosing a pediatrics residency. I am a current 4th year trying to create my rank list. From your experiences/perspective, what type of program should I aim for? Bigger like UT Southwestern Children's Medical center? or Smaller like UC Davis? or Mt Sinai? Thank you! Feel free to PM me as well. Best wishes to you all!

I think the interview calls may have all been given out/set. Though I did get one last week (program has already been listed above) and it must have been a cancellation by another applicant as I was given only 1 date to choose from for the interview. I gratefully grabbed it anyways .... and whoever it was that cancelled their IV .... thank you ;)

Hey guys, thank you for sharing your experiences about when you recieved interviews and numbers that you got. Could anyone share feedback/info about how the interviews went at specific programs? I will be applying next year (winter 2015) and feel like I don't have any great resources telling me which programs to apply to. I have seen the US news and world report, but would love to hear more about personal experiences at programs. Thanks!

Hey guys, thank you for sharing your experiences about when you recieved interviews and numbers that you got. Could anyone share feedback/info about how the interviews went at specific programs? I will be applying next year (winter 2015) and feel like I don't have any great resources telling me which programs to apply to. I have seen the US news and world report, but would love to hear more about personal experiences at programs. Thanks!
Nothing to get stressed or worried about. Most of my interviews have been laid back, them trying to know me, what i do, interest, potential fit to their program etc.
I found this link posted by @maby earlier to be very helpful (and true) : http://www.medicine.northwestern.edu/node/3779 The gist of it being know and be ready to discuss your research, your self, interesting cases, interests etc

Last edited:
Nothing to get stressed or worried about. Most of my interviews have been laid back, them trying to know me, what i do, interest, potential fit to their program etc.
I found this link posted by @maby earlier to be very helpful (and true) : http://www.medicine.northwestern.edu/node/3779 The gist of it being know and be ready to discuss your research, your self, interesting cases, interests etc

Hey, your link seems to be dead. Do you mind checking it?

Hey, your link seems to be dead. Do you mind checking it?
dagnabbit ... they yanked off the page, i searched extensively but could not find it on their website.

PS: I did make a copy of it for my records, if interested, shoot me an email and i'll send it to you, my contact info is in post #14 of this thread.

Last edited:
Are we cool with sharing our top 3-5 choices? not necessarily in the exact ranking (as I myself don't even know yet with certainty).

Are we cool with sharing our top 3-5 choices? not necessarily in the exact ranking (as I myself don't even know yet with certainty).
yup yup, feel totally free, this is our play ground ... and so no rules :)

I have one last interview to go to. I have really enjoyed the process so far, so very different from my residency interviews (i hope the outcome is the same though :nailbiting: )

Hi all. This thread has been very informative so far. I am currently a Peds intern interested in Cardiology. I'm working on a research project which I anticipate will be finished this summer. I wanted to know if anyone had insight on the average amount of programs you should apply to and average amount of interviews you should expect (assuming you're a good candidate etc)?

Good luck to everybody interviewing this season. Unlike residency, most fellowships will only send out a small number of interview invites compared to the number of applications that they receive (i.e. 100+ applications, invitations to ~15 people for 2-3 spots), so if you interviewed at a place your foot is in the door. However, realize that there are programs out there that do interview 30+ people for their spots.

When I was in your shoes years ago, I called the program director of my first choice shortly before our lists were due and was honest in expressing my interest and hope to match there. Fortunately they felt the same and everything worked out.

This is like the final lap in a race. You do everything right from preparation to interviewing. To be honest choosing the right program is the most challenging. The match process is crazy. I pre-matched to my residency program and it was like a slam dunk, match is really scary. How does this thing work...any one with advice? Like JMMH above called the PD and it worked out great, but is it really fine with the rules to do that. From my experience the PDs give you their card (some including their cell phone #), say really nice things about your visit and credentials but they don't even reply for thank you emails. How do you tell who will rank you high...or does it really matter?

Hi all. This thread has been very informative so far. I am currently a Peds intern interested in Cardiology. I'm working on a research project which I anticipate will be finished this summer. I wanted to know if anyone had insight on the average amount of programs you should apply to and average amount of interviews you should expect (assuming you're a good candidate etc)?
Adding to the advice you have received, I would also say that you should consider the number of interviews you will be able to attend as it involves taking time off work. If you get more than you can attend, I guess you could always cancel interviews in a timely fashion to help others :) . There are about 50+ programs and so can always work out a list based on your interest and geographic preference.
I'm glad you found this thread that I started useful. I was glad with the contributions of fellow applicants in making it pretty rich with information for this application year and it certainly helped us all.

@JMMH Those were good tips - thanks for the info.

Last edited: