Pediatrics cardiology fellowship interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just wanted to wish all good luck with this match!!

Members don't see this ad.

@learnin2breathe thanks! ..... breathing normally for the next month will be a bit tough as we wait in anticipation of the match results :nailbiting:

@learnin2breathe thanks! ..... breathing normally for the next month will be a bit tough as we wait in anticipation of the match results :nailbiting:

Ha! I get it! Breathing...

Post up where you guys rank and match! Hopefully one (or maybe two?) of you guys on here will happen to match at where I'll be this year. It would be cool to get to know you before you start next year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Markbright: No problem, happy to help.

maby: Perfectly within the rules to call the PD and express interest, provided you honestly call the one program you really like. I don't think you have to come out and say "I'm ranking you first"--in fact I would say not to be that blunt. A simple phone call stating how well you liked their program and the sincere hope to work together in the future should get the point across. Sometimes you can even measure the reciprocal interest based on the reply you get which may help good or bad (happened with me applying for residency--got a kind but lukewarm response from my #1, so I knew what to expect at match day and it helped soften the blow. Don't cry for me though, I did get my #1 choices for fellowship and sub-fellowship ;)).

Obviously there is nothing holding you back from calling multiple programs, but from an honesty standpoint I would not recommend doing so. Pediatric cardiology is a small field and a lot of PD's know each other, so you never know what comes up in conversation.

Don't forget like you, the PDs have anxiety about match day too. The last thing they want is for the program to go unfilled and have to scramble. The list of programs that go unfilled is published for everyone to see on match day. Just like you have your various tiers of programs - dream/reach, happy, content, safety, etc. they have the same thing for candidates. Programs would love to take the top 2-3 on their rank list and stop there, but if they have to go to number 10 to fill they will consider it a success.

My advice is to do what I did: Call the PD of your #1 and be honest and sincere before the rank list deadline. Then try to relax and get excited as the day approaches.

For the actual match day to be completely prepared, I would have a folder and flash drive with a copy of your CV and personal statement ready to go by fax or email and a friendly residency program director and/or pediatric cardiology division chief ready to make some phone calls on your behalf in case of emergency.

Reactions: 1 user
... For the actual match day to be completely prepared, I would have a folder and flash drive with a copy of your CV and personal statement ready to go by fax or email and a friendly residency program director and/or pediatric cardiology division chief ready to make some phone calls on your behalf in case of emergency.
Very good tip, I did not think of that ... thanks as always @JMMH for sharing your wealth of experience.

Folks, remember May 14th is the last day to certify your list .... after that is the wait .... thankfully a shorter wait than the residency match but equally stressful for me.

Last edited:
Good luck everyone .... today 12 noon EST we get the match results (May 28th, 2014).
I can't sit still ...........

Good luck everyone .... today 12 noon EST we get the match results (May 28th, 2014).
I can't sit still ...........

Good luck to you as well. I am taking a personal half day (just finished rounding) and heading home to check results. Though so far this AM I've checked NMRP 3 times just in case they released the results early...

...they have not...

Congrats Markbright and to all others who matched today!!

I'm an MS3. Do peds cards programs look at step 1 scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an MS3. Do peds cards programs look at step 1 scores?

During my last year of fellowship, I helped with the selection committee. A significant amount of weight was placed on the quality of the institutions (medical school and residency) and less so on Step 1 scores, but yes we did pay some attention to Step 1 and 2 scores, but not nearly to the degree that residency programs do. Any research experience was a big bonus as well.

I have been seeing a lot of peds cards who are both boarded in critical care and cards. Other than working in the cicu can they also manage patients in the picu for other issues?

They can but everybody that I know who is double boarded sticks to the CICU and inpatient cards for interest's sake and to maximize their training.

I suppose it's up to the institution and the amount of PICU coverage present as to whether one would be offered or asked to cover the PICU.

So they still take care of cards patients not in the cicu?

Again depends on the institution and individual's interest, but almost all time spent in CICU. I've seen them cover when needed elsewhere such as reading in the echo lab but that's more the exception than the norm.

did anyone started hearing from programs yet for interview invitations for 2015 application cycle?

did anyone started hearing from programs yet for interview invitations for 2015 application cycle?
Hey, so far Nada. I'd love to keep this thread going for the 2015 application cycle however

Well actually I just got my first one this afternoon from my home institution. From what I've seen on this thread and from report of others they usually come in late Dec. to early Jan

I heard from UTSW yesterday but that's the only one so far. Many of the places I applied the website says will start sending invites in January.

I heard from UTSW yesterday but that's the only one so far. Many of the places I applied the website says will start sending invites in January.
I only heard back from one program. It's weird since people are hearing back from most of places they applied to in other specialties. Maybe it's silent rejections?

Heard from a few more places. Feel free to inbox me for specifics

I started hearing from a few more places this week. I don't know if anyone wanted to start a list this year like they had done in the past

Anyone know when programs are done giving out invites?

Sorry to be a burden and off topic, but I'm a 2nd year osteopathic student who really loves the field of pediatric cardiology. I was just curious if anyone knows anything on how DOs do in terms of matching into fellowships. I know residency is first, but even then, a lot of the hospitals that have fellowships, don't even seem to be that "DO friendly" with their residencies. Any helpful insight would be greatly appreciated! Congrats to all those who have matched in the past and good luck to those who are in the process!

I know a handful of DOs who are in pediatric cardiology and really don't think it's an issue. When I was an intern, one of the residents was applying for pediatric cardiology who had a DO. I had heard that one of the fellowship programs they were applying to was not DO friendly. One of the attendings called the PD on their behalf, and the DO ended up matching at that program.

Reactions: 1 user