Pedo externship opportunities during COVID?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vk223

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if there are programs offering Pedo externship opportunities right now or in the near future? Or possibly be okay to shadow after getting COVID vaccine? --Asking for a friend!

Members don't see this ad.

I know a few programs are working on ”virtual” options, but I haven’t heard of anywhere offering tradition in-person opportunities.

I think that’s going to be tough to find for awhile, even with the vaccine. Right now all we really know about the vaccine is that it’s likely to prevent you from getting symptomatically ill. From what I understand, we don’t yet have good data on how much the vaccine reduces transmission of the virus. So I think until we (hopefully) get confirmation that the vaccine does make an individual less likely to be a carrier, clinics will still be looking to limit the number of people who can physically be in a space.

In the meantime, the PD of Minnesota does offer a monthly webinar during which he talks a bit about the program and also answers questions about it. If I remember correctly (and no promises, because it’s been a long week and my brain is a fried egg right about now), he has also mentioned developing a virtual externship. Either way, I think attending one or more of those webinars would be a good place to start for now.

Also, if there are any programs that they are specifically interested in, I’d reach out to them to to ask about virtual externships. If nothing else, it’s a chance to get your friend’s name out there and maybe develop some contacts. Another good way to network might be stalking the current pedo match thread. Match day is next week, so lots of people will be listing where they ended up. If your friend is interested in a specific program, they could maybe get in touch with someone who matched there. Then that person could give them a heads up if/when the program starts to resume externships.

I was lucky enough to sneak in one observership in January right before things went downhill. (A second one I had scheduled for April was canceled, of course.) I feel bad for your friend. It’s a rough place to be in right now. They only consolation is that everyone in the next cycle is probably in the same boat.

Best of luck to them!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know a few programs are working on ”virtual” options, but I haven’t heard of anywhere offering tradition in-person opportunities.

I think that’s going to be tough to find for awhile, even with the vaccine. Right now all we really know about the vaccine is that it’s likely to prevent you from getting symptomatically ill. From what I understand, we don’t yet have good data on how much the vaccine reduces transmission of the virus. So I think until we (hopefully) get confirmation that the vaccine does make an individual less likely to be a carrier, clinics will still be looking to limit the number of people who can physically be in a space.

In the meantime, the PD of Minnesota does offer a monthly webinar during which he talks a bit about the program and also answers questions about it. If I remember correctly (and no promises, because it’s been a long week and my brain is a fried egg right about now), he has also mentioned developing a virtual externship. Either way, I think attending one or more of those webinars would be a good place to start for now.

Also, if there are any programs that they are specifically interested in, I’d reach out to them to to ask about virtual externships. If nothing else, it’s a chance to get your friend’s name out there and maybe develop some contacts. Another good way to network might be stalking the current pedo match thread. Match day is next week, so lots of people will be listing where they ended up. If your friend is interested in a specific program, they could maybe get in touch with someone who matched there. Then that person could give them a heads up if/when the program starts to resume externships.

I was lucky enough to sneak in one observership in January right before things went downhill. (A second one I had scheduled for April was canceled, of course.) I feel bad for your friend. It’s a rough place to be in right now. They only consolation is that everyone in the next cycle is probably in the same boat.

Best of luck to them!
Thank you CharlieAF! This is super informative and helpful! Do you possibly know how to get in the Minnesota monthly webinar by any chance? Did you contact the program director for that? Also best of luck on Match day!

Thank you CharlieAF! This is super informative and helpful! Do you possibly know how to get in the Minnesota monthly webinar by any chance? Did you contact the program director for that? Also best of luck on Match day!
There’s a Google form you can fill out to indicate interest and then you’ll get emailed the links for the webinar the day it’s scheduled.
Here’s the link:

And thank you! 25 minutes to go. Lol

Reactions: 1 users