Pedo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anybody else intersted in Pedo? I still have a year or so before I would apply, but I'm especially interested in current applicants or those who have recently entered a program (ie, Dr.2b, DcS, etc.)

How's the program going, and how's the application process? Any tips for next year?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm glad some people have the heart for Pedo...Lord knows I didn't. Those little bastards would take one look at me and start screaming before I even sat down. So I went into a specialty where I could just sedate the little punks.

Seriously, I wish you the best.

toofache32 said:
I'm glad some people have the heart for Pedo...Lord knows I didn't. Those little bastards would take one look at me and start screaming before I even sat down. So I went into a specialty where I could just sedate the little punks.

You ever sew up any screamers in the ED? I used to get a kid lac every night I was on trauma. It was really pretty rediculous. Lots of pit bulls in San Antonio.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jediwendell said:
You ever sew up any screamers in the ED? I used to get a kid lac every night I was on trauma. It was really pretty rediculous. Lots of pit bulls in San Antonio.
Yeah, but it's in the ED, so nothing that a Ketamine dart can't handle. I have had one very mature 9-year-old who let me sew up his forehead with a single supraorbital block. Great kid, but that's the exception.

toofache32 said:

No kidding. I feel like I just shouldn't be allowed to treat kids. Seems like everytime I do, I just create another dentalphobe for someone else to deal with down the road.

I am in the application process now for pedo so when it comes time for you to start I can answer any questions you have. Dr.2b has been extremely helpful in my search for programs and quetions that I had during everything. I highly suggest taking a look at the list of programs this fall, and kind of making a generic list. Then, if you have time, try to do some externships at some of them, even if only for a thursday/friday. I did not do this but some classmates did...I didn't have the money/time. However, i externed for a month this summer at a program and I really got to see how it was, and significantly increased my value to them because they got to know me.

I applied to a lot of schools, so we'll see what happens around interview time. Here is the list: Boston Children's Hosp (Harvard), Columbia, Montefiore (NYC), UPENN, Temple Episc., Children's Hosp of Wisconsin, Cincinnati Children's, OSU-Columbus, UMKC,VCU, Children's National (DC), MUSC. I'd like to think I'm fairly competitive, Part I in the low-mid 90s, top 10% at UNC (3.9), a lot of extracurriculars and pedo experience, limited research. I can post my experiences with programs or PM if you would be interested in any of them.

There are a lot of programs. Try to decide if you want a school-based or hospital based programs, how impt stipend is, geography, etc. The AAPD has a nice list of programs with info about them, and PASS has a search engine as well. Here are the links:

https://pass.adea.org/
http://www.aapd.org/training/

toofache32 said:
Yeah, but it's in the ED, so nothing that a Ketamine dart can't handle. I have had one very mature 9-year-old who let me sew up his forehead with a single supraorbital block. Great kid, but that's the exception.
Ketamine isn't very popular over here. I've been wanting to try it out, but I can't find anyone in the ER that is comfortable with it. We generally hit them with propofol for quick jobs. I love the stuff. Letting the nurses fight with the kid for IV access sure beats trying to sneak in the local.

We can take a written test to become "certified" by the Children's Hospital to give sedation to kids. None of us do, though, because it's easier to have the nurses do it all for you and not have that added responsibility.

I'm also in the middle of applying to pedo right now....I recently completed 2 externships that were each one week long. They were great experiences and I'm even more excited and committed to the specialty. However, I'm a little confused trying to figure out what exactly I "desire" in a residency program as the programs I went to were at opposite ends of the spectrum--one was hospital based and the other was university based.

My school list is....MUSC, UIC, St. Barnabas, Columbia, Colorado, OSU (Columbus), Indiana, UMKC, San Antonio, Baylor. My scores are average, but I have pretty decent experience. Just waiting to see if schools will give me interviews and them I'll go from there.

Best of luck to everyone who is applying for all the different specialties!

I like the IM sedation protocol recommended by Pruitt and Goldwasser. Mixing a little versed, ketamine and robinul for little sweeties in the ED. Pretty safe, nice mellow experience. Ketamine is the bomb. I wished we used more of it. We work with a private practice guy who lets us come in and run his schedule. He uses Ketamine (anywhere from 12.5-50 mgs) (along with versed, fentanyl, and maybe a touch of propofol). These anesthetics are awesome. Much better than our fentanyl, versed, propofol anesthetics (I end up having to put these nervous teenage girls into a dip-coma to get them from stop moving around.) The assistants love it when I give 100-200 of dip and then they lay on the table for 10-20 more minutes after I'm done with the surgery! Makes for nice room turnover times if you know what I mean. Talk about cheap! Ketamine is about 1/100th the cost of propofol. One thing about OMFS... we only have to develop the personal relationship until the I.V.'s in and the first 5 of versed is on board. Then we can turn back into our "callous-unfeeling" selves

I don't know if we're talking about pedo sedation, but if so we're always being told to never give kids chloral hydrate. I'm sure you guys have all heard the same.

drhobie7 said:
I don't know if we're talking about pedo sedation, but if so we're always being told to never give kids chloral hydrate. I'm sure you guys have all heard the same.

CH has no reversal agent which can add to the risk----however, if used properly CH is great for sedations, especially in the young (2-3 y.o) . Single dose toxicity is very low but on-set takes 15-30mins. There are pro and cons to nearly all drugs----it's what you're comfortable with and trained in that determines what you use.

Dr.B

esclavo said:
One thing about OMFS... we only have to develop the personal relationship until the I.V.'s in and the first 5 of versed is on board. Then we can turn back into our "callous-unfeeling" selves
I think I'm in love, unless you're a dude...that would be gay. Gay like my interns.

hi guys ..i hope u would help my child...my daughter is 2 yr old and she has a cavity in deciduous molars...i dont have a dental insurance right now and i am in LA ,ca ..i wanted to knowif anybody is around this area and can help me for this problem..i would really appreciate your suggestion...
thanks

prettypink said:
hi guys ..i hope u would help my child...my daughter is 2 yr old and she has a cavity in deciduous molars...i dont have a dental insurance right now and i am in LA ,ca ..i wanted to knowif anybody is around this area and can help me for this problem..i would really appreciate your suggestion...
thanks

Do you smoke? Do you weigh 250 lbs? Save 100 bucks and help your kid out.

If they are 2 and have cavities what are you giving them? Bottle with juice to bed or attached at their hip? You can help them out, not us.

hey Dcs thanks for your quick reply...u know what i am the most unfortunate dentist mother that cannot treat her own child as i am a foriegn trained dentist and i dont have liscence to do so..anyway i am a nonsmoker 95lbs mother ..and my child might have heridiatry problem..she has an irregular tooth eruption history and she has still lots of unerupted tooth..and if cavities r already there then any layman(mother)cannot help her child but the dentist has to help..yeah that is for sure mother should help her child form avoiding bottle with juice or milk to bed ..but it is not the case here bcos she is already out of bottle since long..
i really wanted some good option from u guys ..and by the way we can spend any amount of money to treat our child at the expense of anything..so u better not worry about that..
i have already got good PM ..thanks to that guy
DcS said:
Do you smoke? Do you weigh 250 lbs? Save 100 bucks and help your kid out.

If they are 2 and have cavities what are you giving them? Bottle with juice to bed or attached at their hip? You can help them out, not us.

tx oms said:
I think I'm in love, unless you're a dude...that would be gay. Gay like my interns.

Dear TX OMS, I think you are having intern (gay) flashbacks because I am a short fat mexican kid from Arizona married to a hot blonde with four beautiful kids and one on the way. I'd like to say I'm flattered by your comment but I'd need a picture of you first (and hopefully you look like some ferociously hot FEMALE model). You need to work those interns a lot harder if they are still having those "confusing gender" feelings. Nothing like a little q 1 call to clear up those same gender attractions. Works for me...if not... at least I'm getting some reasonable sleep.

esclavo said:
Dear TX OMS, I think you are having intern (gay) flashbacks because I am a short fat mexican kid from Arizona married to a hot blonde with four beautiful kids and one on the way. I'd like to say I'm flattered by your comment but I'd need a picture of you first (and hopefully you look like some ferociously hot FEMALE model). You need to work those interns a lot harder if they are still having those "confusing gender" feelings. Nothing like a little q 1 call to clear up those same gender attractions. Works for me...if not... at least I'm getting some reasonable sleep.

Dude, are you single-handedly trying to repopulate the earth???!

Bifid Uvula said:
Dude, are you single-handedly trying to repopulate the earth???!

Come to think of it, Esclavo's got a brilliant plan in play... he's creating an army of future maxillofacial surgeons to stamp out the injustice, and tyranny of the "periodontal gingival plastic surgeons ". Simply brilliant

esclavo said:
I'd like to say I'm flattered by your comment but I'd need a picture of you first (and hopefully you look like some ferociously hot FEMALE model).
He doesn't look much like a model, but he's got a killer set of man-boobs. Don't take my word for it, though, that may just be my gay intern tendencies talking. I can't wait to get to medical school, so I can be a normal, heterosexual male again...

OMFSCardsFan said:
He doesn't look much like a model, but he's got a killer set of man-boobs. Don't take my word for it, though, that may just be my gay intern tendencies talking. I can't wait to get to medical school, so I can be a normal, heterosexual male again...

Its all the same in the dark... and u can always spice things up with a nice sex-toy (the brown paper bag) if you want to keep the lights on!