Peds Application Season 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone and good luck in the upcoming application season for those who need it!

I was wondering if anyone could recommend IMG friendly, possibly lower tier programs in peds? I see very few IMGs listed at the housestaff while surfing through programs' websites. So, I suppose, it must be true, that pediatrics is turning into a really competitive specialty nowadays... Or maybe IMG filled programs just do not feel they can brag about their residents and are not putting up the lists?
My stats: 2010 IMG, 230/99 BS, 223/97 CK, pass CS. All first attempt. US LORS, but, sadly, not from pediatricians...Some research and publication in home country. Which programs should I try? Or will I be better off giving up on pediatrics and moving into IM section, before it's too late?

I believe there are a decent amount of programs that are IMG friendly, but might not be putting up the resident lists. In the Philly area, I know that Albert Einstein, Crozer Chester, Lehigh Valley and Geisinger have a decent amount of IMG residents. I'm pretty sure all of the NJ programs are IMG friendly. There are probably many smaller programs in NYC that are also IMG friendly, but I'm not as familiar with those programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone and good luck in the upcoming application season for those who need it!

I was wondering if anyone could recommend IMG friendly, possibly lower tier programs in peds? I see very few IMGs listed at the housestaff while surfing through programs' websites. So, I suppose, it must be true, that pediatrics is turning into a really competitive specialty nowadays... Or maybe IMG filled programs just do not feel they can brag about their residents and are not putting up the lists?
My stats: 2010 IMG, 230/99 BS, 223/97 CK, pass CS. All first attempt. US LORS, but, sadly, not from pediatricians...Some research and publication in home country. Which programs should I try? Or will I be better off giving up on pediatrics and moving into IM section, before it's too late?

There are many IMGs in pediatric programs throughout the country and they are mostly listed on their websites. I suggest you not look at the 20 largest free-standing Children's hospital but look at many other programs. Pediatrics is non-competitive and your numbers are above the mean for pediatrics and well above the means at many programs. The lack of letters from pediatricians is not ideal, but not a deal breaker. You just need to make sure your essays speak to your pediatric interests.

If you wish to be a pediatrician, then you should apply broadly to pediatric programs, small and medium sized, throughout the country. If you are a good doctor, speak English well (if it isn't your native language) and come across well in person, you will match at an excellent program, even if it isn't in the USNWR top 20. If you wish to be an internist, you should apply to IM programs.

Hi!

Got my ERAS token today and started on myERAS and I'm EXCITED!!! Been waiting for this year for a looong time (UK Grad who wasn't able to move over until 2 years post-grad) and now its finally come.

I'll be applying all down the East Coast (NH to DC) to a wide range of programs. Anyone got any favorites among the smaller ones?

Who else is applying this year? Thought I'd start a thread where we could be enthusiastic/neurotic together :). In years past there have been some great supportive threads.

I guess my worries over the summer are (like everyone else) trying to sort out a personal statement and decide what to do for LORs (and finish sorting out my green card).

Look forward to hearing from others applying (or senior members who always have such great advice!).

Hey..fellow UK graduate here! I applied last fall during final year of medschool and got into a large program in the east coast. I applied to a LOT of programs and went to about 14-15 interviews. So PM me and I can give you some insight and let you in on some of my favorites during my interview trail. Best of luck!!

P.S. I would highly recommend you don't stop at DC and include Virginia as well. There are some great programs in that state!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rutgers06, thank you for the input! I will definitely have a closer look at those programs and include them in my application.

Oldbearprofessor, I did not look at the top 20 program, not even sure which ones are top 20, just went through FREIDA looking at every single one. Many programs had Caribbean grads listed, but I do not think they are as IMG-ish as I am, because they had rotations in the US and are citizens. I thought there is still a big difference between Carib grads and other IMGs for the program. I am working on my essay right now, does not ever seem to be good enough but I am trying hard. And I can't know how good of a doctor I am in the eyes of the PD.
Peds is something I really want to do, but reading all the unmatched posts from last year made me doubt my chances. The application season is expensive and, when I imagine spending all that money and going unmatched, IM or FM start looking quite attractive as well. Thanks for your reassurance!

I am not from the west coast, but given their proximity can anyone compare UCSF to Stanford in regards to pediatrics. They both seem to be research powerhouses and maybe Stanford has more in terms of clinic pediatrics. I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks for the answers.

Last edited:
Any advice?

By numbers you can go anywhere and do anything. The only problem I see are the LORs that are all talking about how great of an ER doc you're going to be and probably very little about your interactions and abilities with kids. In general the advice has been to have a LOR from a senior peds attending at your institution, which I am not sure if the peds ER letter would qualify (esp if that write labored under the impression that he is writing that letter for ER residency) in addition to other physicians (whether peds or not) that think you make a great doc. Also note that some few select programs still require a LOR from your peds department (chair, clerkship director, or res director).

Gettin new letters or old ones changed to peds may be a lot of trouble. But hey, if peds heme/onc is your dream then there is no excuse not to change it.

Also interesting that you changed from EM to Peds Hem/Onc 2 weeks before applications are due...are you sure you're committed to this new field? Not questioning your resolve but you need to be honest with yourself about your goals at this point.

EDIT: P.S.: As for programs: you def have a shot at top tier programs if you get your letters sorted out. Safer bets are also strong local programs if you wanna stay around your school or even your own institution. Really though with your paper stats you can apply anywhere and expect positive responses (again depending on the LOR status).

Last edited:
Hi!

Why not approach the attending(s) you worked closest with during your peds core rotation, explain your change of heart and ask for a letter? Or ask to meet with whoever ran the rotation? There's definitely still time to get a letter uploaded by sept 15. Nothing lost by trying!

I'll leave it to those that know more to help you predict your chances :)

Well, what should I do about this? I really love pediatrics, but I think I am going to be screwed if I try applying with no Peds rec letters and the SUB/I being this late. Mind you, I know nothing about the pediatric match and what they look for. All my thinking has been geared towards the EM match.

I say go for it. As others have said, your numbers are fantastic. I think your Peds ER letter can probably still count. Maybe one of your SLORs could be reformatted for peds? (honestly don't know how SLORs work). From there, you'd just need one more--maybe your PI that you did pedi heme/onc work with? Find someone from your peds core rotation? Honestly, as long as your letters don't say that you hate kids, while they may not help you I doubt they'll hurt--and you have plenty of other things going for you. The sub-I isn't a big deal, IMO: my school only takes 4 for the peds sub-I every month, so there are plenty who wind up applying without the sub-I on their transcript, and it's understood that the logistics just work out sometimes that the sub-I doesn't get done by 9/15.

Will it be extremely stressful trying to run around and get all this stuff set up at the last minute? Of course. But if you truly feel you'll be more satisfied going into peds, then you should go for it and find a way to make it happen. Regardless of these "holes" you see in your application, you are very competitive and will do absolutely fine if you decide to apply.

Interestingly enough, I have a friend who was in your exact shoes: officer for the EM interest group, did away rotations in EM, and then decided at the last minute to go peds, and she wound up matching at a very good program. Good luck :)

Hi guys,

I had a quick question. Actually it's a long question. Just don't mention it to the ER guys. Well, I love ER. I love it, love it, love it, but it doesn't give me that super warm fuzzy feeling I get when I go home after doing a pediatrics shift. The thing that moves me the most and I can see myself doing for ever is Pediatric Heme/Onc.

The issue is the following. I already have my whole application lined up and ready to send out and it is all geared towards ER, not peds. Did I just screw my self over? Is it too late to switch. I honored Peds in third year but have not done a sub-I. I also honored PEDS-ER in 4th year.

Here is my app, I would appreciate it if you could tell me what my chances are of switching this late in the game and what to do. I will sign up for the Peds Sub I that starts on Labor day.

- 4th year M.D. student from a middle tier state school
- 2 pediatric heme/onc-ortho projects (no pubs)
- 6/7 honors in first 2 years w/ 3.8 GPA
- 5/6 honors in 3rd year w/ 3.75 GPA
- 249 Step I, December = step 2
- Junior AOA.
- Rec letters = 1 peds ER LOR, 1 SLOR from EM away, 1 SLOR from EM home

Please don't quote my stats as I don't like them floating around on the net.

Well, what should I do about this? I really love pediatrics, but I think I am going to be screwed if I try applying with no Peds rec letters and the SUB/I being this late. Mind you, I know nothing about the pediatric match and what they look for. All my thinking has been geared towards the EM match.

Any advice?

Thanks guys and sorry for the wall of text.

PS: I don't give a rats rear about big names or prestige. I am just looking at a place that would allow me to match into Heme/Onc, if that is not asking too much. Thanks again.

Have you done a Peds Heme/Onc elective? I've found that there's not that many warm fuzzies involved...

hey guys. i am an img and wanted some suggestions from you guys.i am very interested in peds got above average scores and rotations in good place, a publications and have been in involved in 2 research in peds cardio.the biggest obstacle i will face i guess is that i have an attempt in my cs exam and my results will not be available till 3 oct. i am confused as to when to apply to programs on 3rd or 15 sept. i am scared of applying late as i might miss out some interviews...its a tricky situation. any suggestions?

Hi guys

I am applying to the DO Match as well as the MD

Has anyone heard/read any reviews about some of the DO residencies?

Just got an interview from Broward Health in Ft. Lauderdale

Cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
w00t, application submitted, and I even have my first program downloading my app!

Good luck everyone :D

Submitted too!

I have a feeling my F5 key will be worn out by the New Year.

As soon as I hit submit I lost all motivation to work, lol

Already two programs downloaded my app, that was quick!

This might be a dumb question, but How do you know programs are downloading an app?

My application is in too :) I can't believe the season has finally started! I have a quick, probably dumb question. On my ERAS document page, it says that my USMLE transcript was released, but then on the ADTS page says it hasn't been uploaded yet. This is just a delay after paying the fee right? I'm paranoid that because I took CS a few weeks ago, waiting for this score is going to hold up my transcript,. Since I selected yes to both authorizations, it should just load my step 1 and 2 CK and then reload the CS when it comes in right?

My application is in too :) I can't believe the season has finally started! I have a quick, probably dumb question. On my ERAS document page, it says that my USMLE transcript was released, but then on the ADTS page says it hasn't been uploaded yet. This is just a delay after paying the fee right? I'm paranoid that because I took CS a few weeks ago, waiting for this score is going to hold up my transcript,. Since I selected yes to both authorizations, it should just load my step 1 and 2 CK and then reload the CS when it comes in right?

Yeah this should be correct. Don't worry, they just got about 15,000 simultaneous requests for transcripts, they're going to be a bit backed up :p

hmmm....i had 3 out of 4 letters that were in and assigned to programs, but i had another letter that was not sent in yet by the letter writer...i finalized the letter but did not assign it to anybody because I thought I would be able to do that once it was in and uploaded, but now i dont see how I would do that....if i have already applied to a program, and i have a letter finalized but not assigned to them, can i go in and assign it at a later date, or did i just eliminate the use of that letter?

You definitely can! In the programs tab on the right, you can go to "Programs applied to" and click on each program and apply letters at any time. If the letters are in the PostOffice, be careful, don't apply it and then retract it, it looks bad. But with letters that are not uploaded yet, you can click them on and off as many times as you like and the programs don't see those.

You definitely can! In the programs tab on the right, you can go to "Programs applied to" and click on each program and apply letters at any time. If the letters are in the PostOffice, be careful, don't apply it and then retract it, it looks bad. But with letters that are not uploaded yet, you can click them on and off as many times as you like and the programs don't see those.

phew! thanks!

I'm trying to divide my interview time by East Coast/West Coast during November and December to minimize traveling costs. Do you guys know when CA schools typically interview?

I'm trying to divide my interview time by East Coast/West Coast during November and December to minimize traveling costs. Do you guys know when CA schools typically interview?

some good advice i got was to try and buy all of your plane flights with a card from one of the airlines....like for example a southwest airlines card, that way you accumulate points and you end up getting a few free flights out of it during the interview process...sorry i dont have an answer to your actual question haha. you can peep last years interview invite thread to see when they started getting invites tho! Altho theyll probably be off a few weeks b/c i think the application was opened 2 weeks later....

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=853072

Last edited:
Are you guys sending a Chair letter to all programs, even those that don't mention it one way or the other on their requirements page?

Are you guys sending a Chair letter to all programs, even those that don't mention it one way or the other on their requirements page?

Nope, I'm actually not sending one to any programs. None of the ones I'm applying to required one and since I don't actually know the chair of the department personally it would probably be a generic letter and not add much value. More a personal decision, but I would treat it like any other writer.

I'm not going to send one either (except to the two that asked for one). Mine was very bland.

Got my first interview today. So unbelievably excited!!

I'm not going to send one either (except to the two that asked for one). Mine was very bland.

Got my first interview today. So unbelievably excited!!

When programs write "Chair letter optional," can we take them at face value or is it a passive aggressive way of saying, Chair letters are optional but you should really send one?

If they really don't want one, then I'll definitely refrain from sending it because I bet it is a pretty bland letter like you said.

When programs write "Chair letter optional," can we take them at face value or is it a passive aggressive way of saying, Chair letters are optional but you should really send one? .

Oh dear - I've no idea. I'd taken it at face value but now I'm doubting that.

Anyone with any experience know/been told by their school?

I think unless anyone seems to feel very strongly, I won't be sending it.

Oh dear - I've no idea. I'd taken it at face value but now I'm doubting that.

Anyone with any experience know/been told by their school?

I think unless anyone seems to feel very strongly, I won't be sending it.

It's confusing! I wish programs were more transparent, ie "We want a Chair letter" or "For the love of god, don't send us a Chair letter" :laugh:

When programs write "Chair letter optional," can we take them at face value or is it a passive aggressive way of saying, Chair letters are optional but you should really send one?

If they really don't want one, then I'll definitely refrain from sending it because I bet it is a pretty bland letter like you said.

One of the interview invites I've gotten thus far was from a school that was an 'optional' chair letter, so it at least didn't matter for them (for the interview, not sure if it would really matter for ranking once you interview). A little late for me to get a letter, so I guess I am taking it at face value and not reading into things :)

It's confusing! I wish programs were more transparent, ie "We want a Chair letter" or "For the love of god, don't send us a Chair letter" :laugh:

I did send a chair letter to all programs, but thats because the director of our peds program suggested I do it. I think my school may be a little different though which is why she suggested we send it. First we have an interview with the chair (like committee letter in undergrad) and then it's co-written by the head of the Peds clerkship with input from our attendings. This is only one residency directors advice but if you do have some input from other people or have met with your chair you may want to send it.

I was told by my school (who has matched several students to UCSF and Stanford if that makes any difference whatsoever) that they typically start to interview in November.

In the same boat as you trying to split up the coasts. Everyone I talked to says they started with the same mindset and then spent the season jet lagged and broke because it was never possible. Here's to hoping though!

I was told by my school (who has matched several students to UCSF and Stanford if that makes any difference whatsoever) that they typically start to interview in November.

In the same boat as you trying to split up the coasts. Everyone I talked to says they started with the same mindset and then spent the season jet lagged and broke because it was never possible. Here's to hoping though!

That's what I figured. Oh well, what's another 5 grand of debt? ;) Definitely means I should put my favorite programs first in case I get so burnt out by mid-December. Hopefully there'll be some semblance of a clustering of programs from the same coast. :)

Totally agree. I'm scheduling all of those I am truly interested in early in the season before burn out sets in. There is no benefit to interviewing later, or so I have been reassured by MANY people. I figure if they like me, they like me and if I'm forgettable, well then I probably don't want to work for someone who couldnt remember me anyways.

Totally agree. I'm scheduling all of those I am truly interested in early in the season before burn out sets in. There is no benefit to interviewing later, or so I have been reassured by MANY people. I figure if they like me, they like me and if I'm forgettable, well then I probably don't want to work for someone who couldnt remember me anyways.

Haha, yeah... it's kinda nerve-wracking because the med schools I got accepted to were my last couple of interviews. Oh well, I guess it's a good problem to have :D

So, I've had a few hiccups in the process, and hopefully if I share them in public others will avoid the problems I had.
1. My ECFMG certificate took FOREVER to arrive, mostly due to my school dragging its feet with the form. I got certified on the 13 of November

2. In the midst of chaos around the certificate, I (and my med school) forgot about the MSPE, so that wasn't available on the 15 Oct, but more like the beginning of November.

I had 1 interview in late October, then got a bunch of rejections, and now it's been all quiet on the Western front for the last couple of weeks. I've only got 1 more interview thus far, and am really worried that I won't get any more. I'm based in the UK and one of my fellow house officers applied for general surgery and has interviews at Hopkins, Mayo, MGH, and many more. I'm trying to not become despondent but it's difficult when there's just a big blank space in my diary...

Thanks for the Info! Could someone do this for New York schools? I am looking at larger university affiliated programs at dedicated children's hospitals because I feel like that will best prepare me for fellowships, and there seems to be a good amount in the New York area that I know nothing about.

Columbia and Cornell both have programs at NYP, Mount Sinai seems good. NYU might also be an option as well as North Shore-Long Island's program seems like an option.

In general the residents at the NYC programs are very strong because it's a place where a lot of people want to be--especially in Manhattan although there are good programs in the boroughs too. Work load, patient population, resident personality varies *considerably* which you'll see on interview day.