Peds book recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuciusVorenus

Bad Medicine
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to start my peds rotation after winter break and I've heard that case files is one of the better ones to read for the SHELF exam. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for what to read before the rotation actually starts? Just something shorter so I can go in prepared and not as incompetent as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you talking about not to look incompetent on the wards day-to-day or not to look incompetent on the shelf exam? Peds is one of the easier shelfs.

Reactions: 1 user
I used UWorld + OnlineMedEd + Pretest. Didn't use Case Files. Tried to read BRS Peds but it was too dense for me. Scored 98 on my shelf.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're going to start this time of year, looking up information on asthma and bronchiolitis will be beneficial. Also, fluids. I've seen a few infants given a 500 cc bonus for dehydration, so it's good to review how we calculate fluid requirements in children.

For the shelf, any of the standard prep materials will help you. And a good breakdown of developmental milestones.

Are you talking about not to look incompetent on the wards day-to-day or not to look incompetent on the shelf exam? Peds is one of the easier shelfs.

I was thinking just day to day. I know IM has that pocket medicine book I was wondering if there was something similar in Peds.

I liked OnlineMedEd videos for baseline knowledge, good clear information and I have a short attn span when it comes to reading :)
Kept some reference charts in my pocket for things I didn't have energy to commit to memory. I printed out an immunization schedule, developmental milestones schedule and a chart with normal vital signs based on age from the internet and laminated them. They all fit in my coat pocket easily.