Peds Cardio Elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopeTo99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice from people who have done a peds cardio elective before.
How to master EKGs, heart sounds etc..
I got Whung K Park's 'The Pediatric Cardiology Handbook'. Is it a bit too much?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ah, of course, the holy grail: Dale Dubin. Thanks Michigangirl. :)

As for EKGs: I've never read Dubin, but many other's say that you "outgrow" his book fairly quickly. Thaler's "The Only EKG Book You'll Ever Need" tends to get strong reviews from just about everyone as a solid intro EKG book. On mdconsult (at least the version I see) there is a book called: Goldberger: Clinical Electrocardiography: A Simplified Approach, 7th ed. The parts I have read are very good. If you feel you have a good grasp of the general concepts of EKG reading, then I would recommend reading the EKG chapter from Myung Park's Pediatric Cardiology For Practitioners. If someone has an old copy of The Science And Practice Of Pediatric Cardiology, Garson et. al., the chapter on electrocardiography is very good as well (but these books aren't sitting on people's shelves as often as Park is). Familiarity with pediatric EKGs comes with practice, but these readings would put you a leg up.

As for heart sounds: go to MD consult and look under The Clinics section (you'll need to set the default date back to 2004) and get a copy of Pelech's "Physiology of Cardiac Auscultation". Skip the first few paragraphs of fluff and begin at the "What Is A Murmur" section. Solid review article otherwise; the one I give out.

Realize that the portion of congenital heart disease you covered in med school is about 10-15% of what is out there. That chunk of info should be a digestible review before starting. I think most reasonable cardiology folk understand the small amount of pediatric heart disease taught in school and are happy to expand your knowledge didactically and experientially. If you want to dive into something ahead of time, see what you can read about the single ventricle palliation. I give my learners this article after teaching them about the pathway in my own way (http://www.congenitalcardiologytoday.com/index_files/CCT-MAY10-NA.pdf), but it still may be helpful in understanding some of the issues surrounding the univentricular heart. On MD Consult is Nadas Pediatric Cardiology. It's a little more in depth than big Park, but is still very digestible. Reading on HLHS and univentricular hearts would be helpful if you had time. Reading the aortic outlflow obstruction chapter as well as the PS chapter would also be good. Some reading on Tetralogy and issues related to the repaired Tet would be good given the number of them around. There's is a lot to peds cards, but if you wanted to set a foundation before starting (realizing that you're human and things will solidify on rotation) I think this is a manageable amount.

As for Park's Handbook: it's not bad, but it might be a little too pared down for a medical student. But look at the line drawings from the echo chapter; they are very useful in starting to understand what the images are that you are seeing on the screen.