Peds EM combined programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted86048

Hi,
So I know this is way early to be thinking about (I am starting med school next year), but telling the extended family about acceptances over the holidays led to many many questions about future specialties, and it got me thinking and looking casually on the internet with my family members. I have always said that I wanted to do pediatrics, and because of some EM experence, have been thinking about Ped EM. After looking around online, I have a couple of questions.

What do you know about the three combined EM/Peds residency programs? Is this path worth it or is a Peds residency followed by an Peds EM fellowship more useful? Are the combined programs (with their total of 6 spots for all 3), more competitive than a straight EM program? If, by then, I am sure Peds-EM is what I want to do, would it make sense? Are more combined programs planning to open?

I know this is early, and I am not really seriously thinking about it, but in all of my free time over vacation, and after being questioned significantly by my curious parents, i was wondering if you guys could shed any light on these programs.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have looked into this.. If no one answers by tonite ill post for you. meanwhile i need to eat breakfast before I roll out to my anesthesia rotation today!

Hi there - I thought about going this route, and a have a couple of friends applying to these programs this year. It all depends on what you want to do. The first thing you should know is that you CANNOT be board certified in peds EM if you do a combined program. I have researched this on the ABEM website: you must do a fellowship. Now, if you decide that you like pediatrics, then go the peds/peds EM route. I decided that what I enjoyed most about pediatrics was shifts in the ED. So I decided that Em is for me, and I can always do a peds fellowship if I want to be hard core academic at a Children's Hospital, or if I want to treat children only. But being board certified in EM means you can treat patients of ALL ages in the emergency department. So, again, it all depends on what you want to do. The combo programs are not really to train pediatric EM physicians; I've been told you end up choosing one or the other anyway.
I can't speak to the competitiveness, but I don't think they're AS competitive as you might think. I'm not sure if this helped any, but when you do your third year rotations, you'll be able to figure it out. It is good though to be thinking about your future.

:luck: MJ

Members don't see this ad :)
So I did some research into this.. here goes my take on the 3 paths..These are just generalities.

EM-then Peds EM fellowship, you are BC in Peds EM, you can still see adults, an academic spot, usually work in a dedicated ED, usually better hours, lower pay.

Peds - then PedsEM, from what I hear one of the most competetive fellowships from Peds, CAN NOT see adults, usually you must be in a larger city that can support a childrens hospital, you can be a peds doc on the side (but then why do a fellowship). Keep in mind 3 years of floor work generally wont appeal to someone interested in EM.

Peds/EM - double BC, very research heavy, NOT eligible to sit for Peds-EM boards, seen as someone to bridge the gap between Peds and EM, usually more involved in EM than in Peds, Can see adults and kids in ED. Many of the grads in this program do research and a lot go into academics..

From what I hear Peds/EM is less competitive than str8 EM esp compared to the EM programs at IU, Maryland and Arizona which tend to be pretty competitive.

Hope this helps. If you have other Qs ill see if i can answer them.

EctopicFetus said:
So I did some research into this.. here goes my take on the 3 paths..These are just generalities.

EM-then Peds EM fellowship, you are BC in Peds EM, you can still see adults, an academic spot, usually work in a dedicated ED, usually better hours, lower pay.

Peds - then PedsEM, from what I hear one of the most competetive fellowships from Peds, CAN NOT see adults, usually you must be in a larger city that can support a childrens hospital, you can be a peds doc on the side (but then why do a fellowship). Keep in mind 3 years of floor work generally wont appeal to someone interested in EM.

Peds/EM - double BC, very research heavy, NOT eligible to sit for Peds-EM boards, seen as someone to bridge the gap between Peds and EM, usually more involved in EM than in Peds, Can see adults and kids in ED. Many of the grads in this program do research and a lot go into academics..

From what I hear Peds/EM is less competitive than str8 EM esp compared to the EM programs at IU, Maryland and Arizona which tend to be pretty competitive.

Hope this helps. If you have other Qs ill see if i can answer them.

Thanks guys for your responses!

Why is double boarding research heavy?
Do people who double board ever follow up with a fellowship to get Peds-EM BC?
Because there are only 3 programs, do people apply to both those programs and straight peds or EM programs as well? Are they more likely do to EM over Peds?
Is an Peds-EM fellowship harder to get coming from a peds or an EM residency?

The whole thing is a bit complicated - you would think that the combined programs would be the happy medium and you get the best of both worlds, but it appears not. If one wants to practice in a Ped ED, and wants to work only with children (in the end, the path their is less important, although still a consideration), then what is the best option?

I can't even believe I'm actually asking these questions... talk about putting the cart before the horse. But somehow, I just got sucked into it, and now I am really curious.

Must go in to work.. Will answer later..

Anesthesia is killing me because it is so boring.. here goes..

Why is double boarding research heavy?
Justturns out to be this way.. I heard that over 50% of the grads from the combined progs go into academics. It is prob one of the few good ways to use the dual degree.

Do people who double board ever follow up with a fellowship to get Peds-EM BC?
I am sure they do, but if you were gonna do the combined then the fellowshipit would make me thing they didnt really know that they wanted.

Because there are only 3 programs, do people apply to both those programs and straight peds or EM programs as well? Are they more likely do to EM over Peds?
Absolutely!

Is an Peds-EM fellowship harder to get coming from a peds or an EM residency?
I guess I wasnt clear above.. not too hard coming from EM very hard coming from Peds (or at least thats what I have been told by the Peds guys)

The whole thing is a bit complicated - you would think that the combined programs would be the happy medium and you get the best of both worlds, but it appears not. If one wants to practice in a Ped ED, and wants to work only with children (in the end, the path their is less important, although still a consideration), then what is the best option?
This is an interesting question. My understanding is that Childrens Memorial in Chicago ONLY hires Peds, then Peds Em people. Other places prefer EM then peds because you can also pick up some normal shifts..

I can't even believe I'm actually asking these questions... talk about putting the cart before the horse. But somehow, I just got sucked into it, and now I am really curious.
never too early to start thinking about things. If I missed anything or was unclear donot hesitate to reask..

Ectopic!