Peds EM elective or Adult EM AI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coralfangs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions. My school is stressing me out with my 4th yr schedule. Several AIs have been already filled up between July and Oct, and I didn't get any spots because of my damn luck (lottery system).

My school doesn't offer an AI in Peds EM but it does offer an AI in adult EM. According to the docs I know, the difference between AI and non-AI students is that they generally just give 1-2 more patients to AI students and of course, non-AI students can request more if they are interested.

My question is.. since I am interested in Peds EM and the adult EM AI rotation that is still available is not favorably reviewed by the residents and past students, I would like to sign up for the Peds EM instead and I will do my away adult EM AI rotation in Sept.

Training-wise, would I get less out of the rotation if I were to do my first rotation in a Peds EM setting?
Would the Peds EM be viewed negatively by the PDs when I'm applying for residency (ie. why didn't this guy do a regular EM AI?)

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for all the questions. My school is stressing me out with my 4th yr schedule. Several AIs have been already filled up between July and Oct, and I didn't get any spots because of my damn luck (lottery system).

My school doesn't offer an AI in Peds EM but it does offer an AI in adult EM. According to the docs I know, the difference between AI and non-AI students is that they generally just give 1-2 more patients to AI students and of course, non-AI students can request more if they are interested.

My question is.. since I am interested in Peds EM and the adult EM AI rotation that is still available is not favorably reviewed by the residents and past students, I would like to sign up for the Peds EM instead and I will do my away adult EM AI rotation in Sept.

Training-wise, would I get less out of the rotation if I were to do my first rotation in a Peds EM setting?
Would the Peds EM be viewed negatively by the PDs when I'm applying for residency (ie. why didn't this guy do a regular EM AI?)

Damn, forgot to check if I was logged in. Sorry, that away-rotation student seriously needs to learn to log out of his accounts......

Anyway, thank you for your time!

The pEDs Em won't be viewed negatively. Go to the elation with the best experience, work hard ad get a good letter