Peds Fellowship application: submit on day 1 with missing LoRs vs wait for all letters before submitting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wuba

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a dilemma. My ERAS fellowship application is complete and certified, but I'm still waiting for two letters to be processed by EFDO. Applications are available for review by programs starting today (July 21). I'm debating between submitting my application with 2 letters now, and assigning the other 2 letters as soon as they're processed by EFDO (what a scam btw), OR waiting for all letters to be processed before submitting to programs. Anyone in a similar situation? How're you handling it? I'm applying to Pedi GI, reasonably competitive. Basically struggling to choose between:

1) Incomplete but timely application, with risk of being rejected without full review due to incomplete application. I will email the programs after assigning the other letters, but not guaranteed they will re-consider my application. Is this a real concern, or am I overthinking?
2) Complete but delayed application, with risk of interview slots being mostly given out by the time my application is reviewed. I know this is more of a thing with some competitive residency slots, but is this something to worry about with fellowship? Even something moderately "competitive" like Pedi GI?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a dilemma. My ERAS fellowship application is complete and certified, but I'm still waiting for two letters to be processed by EFDO. Applications are available for review by programs starting today (July 21). I'm debating between submitting my application with 2 letters now, and assigning the other 2 letters as soon as they're processed by EFDO (what a scam btw), OR waiting for all letters to be processed before submitting to programs. Anyone in a similar situation? How're you handling it? I'm applying to Pedi GI, reasonably competitive. Basically struggling to choose between:

1) Incomplete but timely application, with risk of being rejected without full review due to incomplete application. I will email the programs after assigning the other letters, but not guaranteed they will re-consider my application. Is this a real concern, or am I overthinking?
2) Complete but delayed application, with risk of interview slots being mostly given out by the time my application is reviewed. I know this is more of a thing with some competitive residency slots, but is this something to worry about with fellowship? Even something moderately "competitive" like Pedi GI?
Sorry not in peds... When is the estimated time you think the 3rd letter will come in? However i think generally the timely application and update later is better. you already have 2 letters which they can base off their things. By the time if they want to give you an interview, they would know that the rest of your letters will come in. You could also email all the programs you apply to that your letters are just in processing and you will update them asap. Agree that the EFDO is such a scam. Can't remember if it was like this when we applied to residency

with the caveat it's been a decade since I went through the application process and am not in an academic program any more, I would say option 1 is probably the better choice. Fellowship directors don't have nearly the number of applications to consider, and in my experience tend to place more weight on the interview day. When going through the ranking decisions while a fellow, a lot of the comments were "comes from a good program, has good letters, what did everyone think on the interview day?" or "this person comes highly recommended from so and so, what did everyone think?" which usually meant the recommendation was from someone the program knew (either former colleague or fellow or a really big name in the field) and that person had followed up with a phone call.

So if your letters that are outstanding are from big names within your field and you are applying to a programs that are maybe a stretch, it might make sense to wait a smidge longer, but not forever.

Members don't see this ad :)
Solid advice here y'all, thanks. One of the two letters has been processed, will go ahead and submit while I wait for the last remaining letter. So dumb, why is EFDO a thing now?